Prosecution Seeks Indictment Amendment in Appeal... Hong Wonshik’s Legal Team Says "Breach of Trust Amount Unspecified and Technical"
Witness Examinations Scheduled for July 6 and 13
The legal team representing former Namyang Dairy Products Chairman Hong Wonshik, who was sentenced to prison in the first trial for charges of embezzlement and breach of trust, strongly criticized the prosecution's request to amend the indictment during the appellate trial.
Former Namyang Dairy Products Chairman Won-Sik Hong is seen leaving after the sentencing hearing for charges including embezzlement and breach of trust under the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Economic Crimes held on January 29 at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageOn May 18, the Seoul High Court Criminal Division 6-1 (Presiding Judge Kim Jongwoo) held an appellate hearing for Hong and former executives and employees of Namyang Dairy Products, who were indicted on charges including breach of trust under the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Economic Crimes.
.
During the hearing, the defense argued that the prosecution was unreasonably attempting to change the charges because it had failed to specify the exact amount involved in the alleged breach of trust in the application to amend the indictment.
Previously, on April 29 and May 7, the prosecution filed motions to amend the indictment on two occasions. The main points of these motions were to change the amount of damages related to intermediary companies and to add alternative charges.
In response, Hong’s attorney pointed out that “the prosecution’s application to amend the indictment is overly complicated and technical.” The attorney stated, “The repeated additions and changes to the amount of damages show that even the prosecution has difficulty grasping the facts of the case and specifying the damages amount.” The defense further argued that the prosecution’s judgments regarding qualifications and work abilities were subjective.
Attorneys for other co-defendants also stressed that the prosecution’s motions to amend the indictment were inappropriate. One lawyer said, “The prosecution’s significant reduction of the breach of trust amount, or even listing the amount as unknown, is an admission that there is no evidence regarding the amount in question.”
Hong’s defense team also contested the timing of the allegation concerning the private use of corporate assets by Hong’s mother. The attorney argued, “From 2000 to 2010, it was the late honorary chairman who used the assets, and after that period, it should be distinguished that Ms. Ji, Hong’s mother, received and used them.”
The court also pointed out inconsistencies between the first trial verdict and the prosecution’s arguments. The presiding judge noted, “While the first trial recognized the lump-sum payment, there are parts that don’t align with the regular payments, yet a guilty verdict was rendered,” and asked the prosecution to clarify its position on this matter.
The court plans to hold witness examinations for six individuals on July 6 and 13.
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
Meanwhile, Hong was indicted for the private use of a company-owned villa and vehicles, as well as for causing damage to the company by involving intermediary companies in transactions. In the first trial, he was sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to forfeit approximately KRW 4,376,000,000.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.