[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Chun-hee] The deadline extension for advance payment of fines on freight vehicles, implemented to alleviate the burden on the public caused by the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), will be extended for another three months.


The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport announced on the 5th that it has decided to further postpone by three months the deadline for advance payment of fines for violations of operation restrictions on freight vehicles, dump trucks, cranes, and other construction machinery, which had been temporarily implemented for three months from May 6 to June 5.


During this period, the Ministry has been implementing a policy to extend by three months the deadline for advance payment of fines amounting to approximately 5 billion KRW imposed on about 10,000 drivers who were caught once violating operation restrictions on expressways or general national roads within the last year.


A survey conducted among those liable to pay the fines at that time showed that out of 1,436 respondents, 1,192 (83%) said it helped their livelihood. In particular, 1,119 (78%) expressed hope for an additional extension. Accordingly, as part of the government's comprehensive COVID-19 support measures, the deadline for fine payment will be further extended until November 5.



Joo Hyun-jong, Director of the Road Bureau at the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, said, "We are relieved that this policy has provided some help to livelihood drivers," and added, "We urge all drivers working hard in logistics transportation to comply with the law and drive safely."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing