US North Korea Specialized Media Satellite Image Analysis

North Korea launched a rocket it claims to be a space launch vehicle in the area of Dongchang-ri, North Pyongan Province on the 31st, amid reports that related signs had been detected in satellite images a few days earlier.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

The US think tank, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), through its North Korea-focused media outlet "Beyond Parallel," reported on the 30th (local time) on its website about the rocket launch preparations at the Dongchang-ri West Sea Satellite Launch Site.



The outlet stated that although no rocket was spotted at the launch site, "the images taken on May 30 show vehicles around the launch pad that could be carrying space launch vehicles or oxidizer tanks."


It also noted, "A recently rebuilt rail transport structure is connected in front of the connection tower in the existing launch pad area, and the tower's work platform is folded," adding, "When loading rockets or missiles onto the rail transport structure under the connection tower, the work platform is usually folded."


It further assessed, "Such launch preparations are likely related to North Korea's announcement on May 30 that its first-ever reconnaissance satellite could be launched in June."


The outlet said, "Ballistic missile technology is used for reconnaissance satellite launches, which violates United Nations (UN) Security Council resolutions," and added, "If successful, this satellite would greatly enhance North Korea's ability to monitor the movements and locations of US and South Korean forces in East Asia and worldwide."


On the 30th, a satellite image provided by the private satellite company 'Planet Labs' shows the West Sea Satellite Launch Site in Dongchang-ri before the launch. [Image source=Yonhap News]

On the 30th, a satellite image provided by the private satellite company 'Planet Labs' shows the West Sea Satellite Launch Site in Dongchang-ri before the launch. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

The US North Korea-focused media "38 North" also analyzed commercial satellite images believed to have been taken around the same time and reported that launch preparation activities were detected at the West Sea Satellite Launch Site.


The outlet analyzed that movements indicating launch preparations were detected both at the existing launch pad within the West Sea Satellite Launch Site and at a newly constructed launch pad on the east coast, making it difficult to determine which location will be used.


However, it said, "Given the arrival of three roofed rail vehicles and the presence of parked vehicles near the existing horizontal assembly building, it appears more likely that the West Sea launch pad will be used."


In fact, at the existing launch pad, "the service arms of the connection tower were open, which means the launch vehicle could be loaded at any time," and the outlet emphasized that most equipment and materials had been cleared, with multiple movements observed including three vehicles, such as large trucks.


38 North added that a large truck photographed facing the connection tower at the rear was carrying a long cylindrical object, but it was unclear whether it was a liquid fuel container or a rocket component.


On the 18th, North Korea's National Aerospace Development Administration conducted a crucial final-stage test for reconnaissance satellite development at the Dongchang-ri West Sea Satellite Launching Station in Cholsan County, North Pyongan Province, the Korean Central News Agency reported on the 19th. 2022.12.19 [Image source=Yonhap News]

On the 18th, North Korea's National Aerospace Development Administration conducted a crucial final-stage test for reconnaissance satellite development at the Dongchang-ri West Sea Satellite Launching Station in Cholsan County, North Pyongan Province, the Korean Central News Agency reported on the 19th. 2022.12.19 [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

Meanwhile, the Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that North Korea launched a rocket it claims to be a space launch vehicle toward the south from the Dongchang-ri area in North Pyongan Province at around 6:29 a.m. on the 31st. The launch vehicle passed over the distant sea west of Baengnyeongdo and fell abnormally about 200 km west of Eocheongdo.



According to the Korean Central News Agency, North Korea officially announced that it launched the rocket "Chollima-1" carrying the military reconnaissance satellite "Manrikyong-1," but it crashed into the West Sea due to an accident.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing