After Final Vote by Standing National Committee
Seo Byung-su Declares "Dissolution of Former Supreme Council"
"Is the Party Leader's Internal Conflict Over?" Lee Jun-seok Reacts

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporters Hyunju Lee and Hyunji Kwon] The People Power Party's Emergency Response Committee finalized the appointment of its members and officially launched on the 16th.


On the same day, the People Power Party held a party caucus in the afternoon to discuss the appointments of the emergency response committee members, and after a final vote by the Standing National Committee, confirmed the appointment of nine committee members.


Standing National Committee Chairman Seo Byung-soo said in a briefing after the vote, "Out of the total 55 standing committee members, 42 participated, constituting a quorum, and with 35 in favor and 7 opposed, the appointment proposal for the emergency response committee members was passed as originally planned."


Seo explained, "The emergency response committee has been properly launched, and the previous Supreme Council has been dissolved," adding, "The emergency response committee chairman will hold the party's authority and status."


The appointments were finalized with nine members. Among the parliamentary figures, Chairman Joo, Floor Leader Kwon Seong-dong, and Policy Committee Chairman Sung Il-jong will participate ex officio. Additionally, first-term lawmakers Eom Tae-young (Chungbuk Jecheon-Danyang) and Jeon Ju-hye (Proportional Representative) were appointed.


Outside the parliament, former two-term lawmaker Jeong Yang-seok, former candidate Joo Ki-hwan who ran for Gwangju mayor in the June 1 local elections, 1984-born Gangwon Provincial Council member Choi Tae-min, and 1986-born Sejong City Council member Lee So-hee will participate.


Secretary-General will be Park Deok-heum (Chungbuk Boeun-Okcheon-Yeongdong-Goesan), spokesperson Park Jeong-ha (Gangwon Wonju), and chief secretary Jeong Hee-yong (Gyeongbuk Goryeong-Seongju-Chilgok), respectively, according to reports.


Floor Leader Kwon, who faced controversy over responsibility amid the exposure of messenger exchanges with President Yoon Seok-yeol, also agreed to participate as an emergency response committee member. A vote on Kwon's reappointment was held at the previously open party caucus of the Standing National Committee, and most lawmakers reportedly supported him. Chairman Joo said in a meeting with reporters after the caucus, "The vote to confirm Floor Leader Kwon's reappointment was held after he left the room, and the approval was overwhelmingly in favor."



The first meeting of the emergency response committee is scheduled for the 18th. However, the provisional injunction hearing filed by former leader Lee Jun-seok on the 17th (tomorrow) could become a variable. After the caucus confirmed Floor Leader Kwon's reappointment, Lee Jun-seok posted, "It is ironic that the acting party leader, who declared an emergency situation for the party after exposing internal text messages and receiving cherry thumbs-up, is reappointed at the caucus," adding, "Where exactly was the emergency, what was the problem, and who took responsibility? The party leader is ousted over the emergency situation created by the president and floor leader, and the matter is closed?" Lee is expected to continue his public campaign.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing