"Opposition to Anti-Selection Regulation Introduction 6 Votes, Support 0 Votes, Compromise Proposal 6 Votes"

[Asia Economy Reporter Naju-seok] Jeong Hong-won, the election management committee chairman of the People Power Party, reportedly decided to proceed with another vote despite the fact that the proposal to introduce the ‘reverse selection prevention regulation’ was effectively rejected at the election committee meeting. Former lawmaker Yoo Seung-min, a presidential candidate of the People Power Party, strongly opposed this and demanded Jeong’s resignation.

Yoo Seung-min "Even class president elections aren't conducted like this... Jeong Hong-won attempts re-vote despite rejection of primary election rule revision" View original image


Former lawmaker Yoo stated on social media (SNS), "The election committee conducted a secret ballot, and the results were ‘6 against reverse selection prevention, 0 in favor, and 6 for a compromise proposal,’" adding, "Since the opposition and compromise votes were tied 6 to 6, a tie vote means rejection." He also said, "There was not a single vote in favor."


According to Article 12, Paragraph 3 of the presidential candidate selection regulations, a tied vote in the election committee is considered a rejection. According to party rules, this means that the attempt to overturn the primary rules created by the primary preparation committee was rejected.


Former lawmaker Yoo criticized, "However, Chairman Jeong Hong-won said he would hold another vote on Sunday," and asked, "Is he going to keep voting repeatedly until a conclusion favorable to candidate Yoon Seok-youl emerges?"


He added, "Even elementary school class president elections are not conducted like this," and criticized, "Far from fairness, this is becoming a laughingstock for the entire nation." He then asked the party and the election committee, "Is this fairness?"


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

Former lawmaker Yoo advised, "Chairman Jeong Hong-won should stop damaging the party any further, resign, and join the Yoon campaign."


Lee Soo-hee, spokesperson for Yoo Seung-min’s campaign, also issued an urgent statement, saying, "If there had been seven people sharing Chairman Jeong’s view, would he have claimed it was not a vote but just an expression of opinion?" and criticized, "Can they still proudly claim this is fair?"



Spokesperson Lee warned, "The party is already in turmoil inside and out, and if the primary ends in disaster, regime change will truly be at risk," and urged, "The chairman should please abandon attempts to overturn the decision of the primary preparation committee."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing