COVID-19 '4th Wave' Crisis... What Do You Think About Prioritizing Vaccination for Young People?
Kim Boo-kyum "Metropolitan 2030 Holds the Key to Quarantine... Please Be Patient a Little"
Oh Se-hoon "Request More Vaccine Allocation to Seoul for Priority Vaccination of Young People"
Citizens are lined up to receive diagnostic tests at a temporary COVID-19 screening site set up near the Seogang University Station transfer public parking lot in Mapo-gu, Seoul. The photo is unrelated to specific expressions in the article. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Heo Midam] "To reduce the number of confirmed cases, vaccinations should start with the younger age groups where the number of cases is high," "Changing the vaccination schedule unnecessarily might cause confusion."
As the number of COVID-19 cases has recently increased mainly among the younger generation, voices are emerging that vaccinations should prioritize people in their 20s and 30s. The younger generation tends to have more asymptomatic infections compared to middle-aged and older adults, sometimes continuing their daily lives without knowing they are infected. This has raised concerns that the spread could intensify further with the younger generation acting as a transmission link. On the other hand, some argue that such vaccine-related debates could spark generational conflicts.
Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum appealed for cooperation in quarantine measures during his policy speech on the 2nd supplementary budget bill at the National Assembly on the 8th.
He said, "Our quarantine efforts, painstakingly built over the past year and a half, are now facing a critical turning point. The situation in the metropolitan area is particularly serious," adding, "Confirmed cases are rapidly increasing among the active 20s and 30s age groups. This is a very concerning situation."
He continued, "To the 20s and 30s in the metropolitan area, you hold the key to quarantine. Please endure and be patient a little longer," emphasizing, "We must overcome this hurdle for our daily lives to return. I earnestly request your cooperation."
According to the Central Disease Control Headquarters, as of midnight that day, there were 1,275 new confirmed cases. This is 63 more than the previous day (1,212), marking the highest number since the first domestic COVID-19 case on January 20 last year, about a year and a half ago. It is also the first time that the number of confirmed cases has exceeded 1,200 for two consecutive days. This essentially marks the full onset of the COVID-19 '4th wave.'
A citizen is receiving a COVID-19 vaccine. The photo is unrelated to specific expressions in the article. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original imageThe problem is that this wave is spreading mainly among the younger generation in the metropolitan area. Looking at the recent two-week trend of confirmed cases by age group in the metropolitan area, people in their 20s had the highest rate at 4.1, followed by those in their 30s at 2.7, 40s at 2.6, and both 50s and teens at 2.2. Relatedly, Seoul city analyzed that these age groups often visit places with the 3Cs (closed spaces, crowded places, close-contact settings) such as bars and clubs, leading to an increase in confirmed cases.
Consequently, opinions have emerged that vaccinations should be prioritized for the younger generation, who have high activity levels. Office worker Lee (26) said, "To definitely reduce the number of confirmed cases, vaccinations must be prioritized for the age groups with the highest number of cases," adding, "Especially for people in their 20s, there is frustration as the exact vaccination schedule has not yet been announced."
Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon also mentioned prioritizing vaccinations for the younger generation. At a special metropolitan area quarantine inspection meeting on the 6th, Mayor Oh said, "Expanding vaccinations is urgent to block the spread of infectious diseases," and requested, "Please allocate more vaccines to Seoul so that vaccinations can be prioritized for the younger generation, who have wide activity ranges and high activity levels."
On the other hand, some argue that since the younger generation has a low fatality rate, it is better to stick to the existing vaccination schedule. The quarantine authorities have so far focused vaccinations on the elderly, who are vulnerable to infectious diseases.
Another office worker Kim (31) said, "It is natural to vaccinate the age groups with higher fatality rates first," adding, "People in their 20s and 30s have lower fatality rates compared to other age groups, and even if infected, many cases are mild or asymptomatic. However, the elderly can die from COVID-19." He further criticized, "It just seems like the vaccine is being used to stir up generational conflicts."
The quarantine authorities also stated that workers in occupations with frequent face-to-face contact are the priority vaccination targets rather than the younger generation. Bae Kyung-taek, head of the COVID-19 Vaccination Response Task Force, appeared on MBC Radio's 'Kim Jong-bae's Focus' the previous day and said, "Following the principle of vaccinating high-risk individuals first and in order of age, elderly people living in group settings are vaccinated first, and then preparations are made for vaccinations in age order. This is also the international standard."
Bae added, "Local governments say that people working in jobs with frequent face-to-face contact, such as those working in transportation facilities, delivery services, or environmental sanitation, need vaccinations regardless of age," explaining, "Those people will be vaccinated first."
Meanwhile, experts pointed out that the 4th wave of COVID-19 is related to the government's failure in quarantine policies. Professor Lee Jae-gap of Hallym University College of Medicine's Infectious Diseases Department appeared on CBS Radio's 'Kim Jong-dae's News Up' and said, "Experts have been warning since mid-June that easing quarantine measures from July would naturally worsen the epidemic situation," adding, "Despite these clear warnings, the government pushed ahead with easing measures, leading to this regrettable situation."
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
He continued, "It is highly likely that the number of confirmed cases will remain in the 1,200 to 1,300 range throughout this week, and if quarantine measures are not strengthened quickly, there could be even more cases next week," emphasizing, "The most important thing now is to quickly curb the current epidemic situation."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.