Seoul Police Chief: "Doing Our Best to Conclude Investigation of Lee Yong-gu... Proceeding Swiftly"
Controversy Over Bulgari's COVID-19 Efficacy
15 Namyang Dairy Officials Investigated
30 Cases of 'Speculation Allegations' and 203 People Under Investigation
Jang Ha-yeon, Chief of Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Gwan-ju] The police plan to conclude their investigation soon into allegations of a botched probe regarding the ‘taxi driver assault incident’ involving former Deputy Minister of Justice Lee Yong-gu.
On the 7th, Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency Commissioner Jang Ha-yeon said at a press briefing, “We are doing our best to wrap things up,” adding, “It won’t take long, and we are trying to finish it quickly.”
The joint fact-finding investigation team of the Seoul Police Agency’s Inspection and Investigation Division reportedly found that the investigator from Seocho Police Station, who originally handled the case, was aware of the existence of a black box video showing the assault by former Deputy Minister Lee but did not report it to higher-ups. It was also determined that the team leader and the division chief, who were superiors, bore some command responsibility. There were also indications that Seocho Police Station officials knew that Lee, who was a lawyer at the time, was being considered as the first candidate for the head of the High-ranking Officials’ Crime Investigation Office (Gonggiwon).
On November 6 last year, around 11:40 p.m., former Deputy Minister Lee verbally abused and grabbed the collar of a taxi driver who was trying to wake him inside the taxi. The police closed the case as a preliminary investigation, citing that a settlement had been reached. However, suspicions of a ‘lenient investigation’ arose because, despite the assault occurring during operation, the police applied simple assault charges instead of the Special Act on Aggravated Punishment (teukgabeop).
Regarding speculation that the investigation results would be announced within this week, Commissioner Jang said, “The matter is very serious, so there are parts that need to be re-verified and some additional checks, so it is difficult to specify the timing,” but added, “It is almost at the final stage and we are proceeding as quickly as possible.”
The investigation into Namyang Dairy Products, which announced that its product ‘Bulgari’s’ was effective against COVID-19, is also ongoing. Commissioner Jang explained, “We analyzed seized items and have questioned 15 related individuals.” Regarding whether former Namyang Dairy Products CEO Lee Kwang-beom will be summoned, he said, “Procedures will proceed according to the investigation plan.”
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
Meanwhile, concerning allegations of real estate speculation by public officials, the Seoul Police Agency is investigating 30 cases involving 203 people. Commissioner Jang stated, “Once the verification work based on the analysis of seized items is completed, follow-up investigations are being conducted.”
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.