Appealing for Nationwide Attention and Support to Pass the Yeosun Incident Special Act in the 21st National Assembly

Yeosu City Appeals for Nationwide Support with Heartfelt Interview Video on the Yeosun Incident View original image


[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters, Reporter Heo Seon-sik] Yeosu City, Jeollanam-do (Mayor Kwon Oh-bong) is drawing attention by sending a video urging the enactment of the Yeosun Incident Special Act, featuring interviews with victims' families, to local governments nationwide, asking for the interest and support of the entire nation to expedite the passage of the bill currently pending in the National Assembly.


According to Yeosu City on the 22nd, the video, which is a total of 9 minutes long with the subtitle "Beyond Silence to Tomorrow," emphasizes the necessity and importance of enacting the special law. It vividly captures the circumstances of the Yeosun Incident's outbreak and the pain and sorrow endured by the victims' families over the past 70 years through interviews.


One family member said, "Every other house was a memorial house; there was crying in this house and that house, the entire neighborhood was crying," conveying the horrific situation at the time when they lost their children and had to say goodbye to their parents.


Mayor Kwon Oh-bong of Yeosu said through the video, "The only way to correct the unjust history over the past 70 years is through the enactment of the Yeosun Incident Special Act," and added, "I ask the entire nation to lend their strength to the enactment of the special law so that we can build a country where everyone lives fairly without any grievances."


Meanwhile, the Yeosun Incident was triggered on October 19, 1948, when some soldiers of the 14th Regiment stationed in Sinwol-dong, Yeosu City, opposed the dispatch to the Jeju 4.3 Incident. It is known as a tragedy in modern history where many civilians, military, police, and local residents were sacrificed.



The Yeosun Incident Special Act, which aims to uncover the truth of the incident and restore the honor of the victims' families, was jointly proposed by 152 members of the Democratic Party of Korea on July 28 last year. Currently, the first stage of bill review by the Administrative Safety Committee's Bill Review Subcommittee 1 is scheduled for 2 p.m. on the 22nd.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing