Dispute Over 700 Million Won Demand from Perpetrator in Late Kim Min-sik's Accident Case

The mother, Park Cho-hee, and father, Kim Tae-yang, of the late Kim Min-sik, who died in a traffic accident in a school zone, are watching the passage of the so-called "Min-sik Act," which mandates the installation of speed cameras in school zones, and the so-called "Ha-jun Act," which strengthens parking lot safety management, from the gallery of the National Assembly plenary session on December 10 last year. <br>[Image source=Yonhap News]

The mother, Park Cho-hee, and father, Kim Tae-yang, of the late Kim Min-sik, who died in a traffic accident in a school zone, are watching the passage of the so-called "Min-sik Act," which mandates the installation of speed cameras in school zones, and the so-called "Ha-jun Act," which strengthens parking lot safety management, from the gallery of the National Assembly plenary session on December 10 last year.
[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] Controversy has arisen after the parents of the late Kim Min-sik (then 9 years old), who died after being hit in a school zone, were alleged to have demanded billions of won from the perpetrator’s side. Kim Min-sik’s parents denied the claims and announced their intention to sue the YouTuber who raised the suspicions. In response, YouTuber A repeatedly stated that the claims were not false, intensifying the dispute between both parties.


On the 15th, A, who was sued by Kim Min-sik’s parents, stated, "I will not back down and will fight fiercely."


In a video posted on his YouTube channel on the 15th, A emphasized, "This is not the spread of false information. It seems they sued because I am an easy target as a YouTuber. I will respond strongly."


He continued, "There is not a single part that can be called a lie. So why do I have to undergo a police investigation to explain defamation by spreading false information?"


He then said, "Please change it to defamation based on factual reporting. I am very displeased." He also revealed his future plan, saying, "Soon, I will visit the office of Min-sik’s father’s lawyer to ask about the truth of the 700 million won demand."


On the 12th, YouTuber A posted a video on his channel claiming, "Kim’s parents demanded 700 million won from Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance, the insurer of the accident perpetrator."


As evidence for his claim, he released a phone conversation with a woman who claimed to be an acquaintance of the traffic accident perpetrator.


The next day, on the 13th, A posted another video on his channel revealing the case number filed at the Cheonan branch of the Daejeon District Court, asserting that the testimony was true.


[Comprehensive] "Demanded 700 Million Won" Minsik's Parents and Perpetrator in Multi-Billion Won Lawsuit Truth Dispute View original image


As the controversy spread, Kim Min-sik’s parents refuted the claims on the 14th through a statement.


Kim Min-sik’s father, Kim Tae-yang (35), said in the statement, "The contents of the YouTube videos are completely untrue, and the statements of the informant interviewed by phone with the YouTuber are all lies," raising his voice, "This is character assassination and a crime of defamation by spreading false information."


He added, "Until now, we have not responded to such fake news at all, enduring it while only thinking of Min-sik, but an internet media outlet turned the YouTube broadcast content into an article without fact-checking, causing false slander against our family to spread like wildfire, forcing us to take legal action," and said, "Our family is going through hellish days, suffering pain worse than death."


Regarding the claim that they demanded 700 million won, he said, "We entrusted the civil matters to a loss adjuster, and since no agreement was reached with Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance, we hired a lawyer and proceeded with a civil lawsuit."



He continued, "We learned through the lawyer that the compensation amount was raised and the lawsuit amount proceeded to 700 million won," adding, "This case involves an accident at a crosswalk within a school zone, and it was a serious accident witnessed on-site by the mother and siblings of the family."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing