Whether to impose a full entry ban on China "Will closely examine WHO and international trends"
US-ROK defense cost-sharing talks "Understanding has deepened but gaps remain"
Resuming North Korea-US talks to be considered after COVID-19 stabilizes

Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha is attending the meeting of ministers in charge of responding to the novel coronavirus infection held at the Government Seoul Office on the 28th. Photo by Moon Ho-nam munonam@

Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha is attending the meeting of ministers in charge of responding to the novel coronavirus infection held at the Government Seoul Office on the 28th. Photo by Moon Ho-nam munonam@

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha stated that she is promoting Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Korea and that the visit in the first half of the year is still valid. She also predicted that negotiation strategies would change around the time when the assets of Japanese companies seized due to the South Korean Supreme Court's forced labor victim compensation ruling are liquidated in Korea.


At a press conference held on the 6th at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building in Doryeom-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Minister Kang said, "This year, we are promoting visits by President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang of China," adding, "The agreement that President Xi's visit will take place in the first half of the year is still valid."


Regarding the possibility of a full entry ban on China, she said it would be carefully reviewed. The Korean government has been implementing an entry ban on foreigners who have visited Hubei Province since midnight on the 4th. Minister Kang explained, "The safety of our citizens is the top priority, but we must consider the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), the effectiveness of measures, and international trends," adding, "We will consider additional measures if necessary."


It is known that South Korea and China agreed on President Xi's visit in the first half of this year at the Korea-China-Japan summit held in Beijing at the end of last year. However, there have been observations that the visit schedule might be delayed due to the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia) and the timing of the Two Sessions.


Minister Kang also stated that regarding the liquidation of Japanese companies' assets in Korea seized following the South Korean Supreme Court ruling, the government must abide by the court's decision and cannot postpone or delay the timing of liquidation.


She emphasized, "The timing of liquidation will be crucial, but since it is a judicial process, the government cannot intervene in the process," adding, "The government cannot delay or postpone the timing."


She predicted that negotiation strategies concerning bilateral issues could change accordingly. Minister Kang explained, "The government must prepare for any eventuality," adding, "If liquidation proceeds, the negotiation strategies before and after will definitely need to change."


Dialogue between South Korea and Japan will continue. Minister Kang said, "The Korea-Japan leaders agreed in China that difficult issues must be resolved through dialogue," adding, "Based on this, consultations will continue at various levels throughout this year." The foreign ministries of South Korea and Japan plan to hold director-level talks at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building this afternoon to continue dialogue.


Regarding the termination of the Korea-Japan General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA), she reaffirmed the existing position that export control measures have not returned to the state before July last year.


Minister Kang emphasized, "Although there have been dialogues between export authorities, the situation has not returned to before July 1, as requested by the Korean government," adding, "We reserve the right to reactivate the termination of GSOMIA at any time."


Regarding the Korea-US Special Measures Agreement (SMA) on defense cost-sharing, she said that while understanding has deepened, there remains a significant gap between the Korean and US negotiation teams. Since the sixth round of negotiations on the 14th-15th of last month, the Korea-US negotiation teams have not yet set a date for additional talks.


Minister Kang said, "Even if face-to-face talks are not held, we are continuously communicating via email and phone," adding, "Both Korea and the US are well aware that time is tight." She added, "It is difficult to predict the timing of an agreement, but we will negotiate with consideration for protecting the rights and interests of Korean workers."


She also expressed the intention to create a virtuous cycle structure where inter-Korean relations and North Korea-US relations mutually stimulate each other. Regarding the timing of resuming North Korea-US talks, she predicted it would be possible to gauge once the novel coronavirus situation stabilizes.


Minister Kang said, "We will create a virtuous cycle structure where inter-Korean relations and North Korea-US relations mutually stimulate each other," adding, "(Regarding individual tourism to North Korea) our principle is to carry it out while faithfully implementing the framework of sanctions against North Korea, and we are closely consulting with the US on all matters including North Korea-US dialogue and inter-Korean cooperation projects."



Regarding the resumption of North Korea-US talks, she added, "We are making efforts to resume through Korea-US cooperation," adding, "Since each country is in a crisis situation responding to the novel coronavirus, it is necessary to review the existing diplomatic policies after entering a stable phase."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing