Kang Yongseok and Kim Saeui Fined in First Trial for Remarks on President Lee's Juvenile Detention and First Lady Kim Hyekyung's Fall
Violation of Public Official Election Act: Dissemination of False Information
Court Cites "Seriousness of the Offense"
Kang Yongseok Fined 10 Million Won, Kim Saeui Fined 7 Million Won
The cast members of the YouTube channel 'Garo Sero Research Institute' have been fined in the first trial after being indicted on charges of spreading false information, such as the claim that 'President Lee Jaemyung had previously been in a juvenile detention center.'
Attorney Kang Yongseok, who was indicted on charges of coercing false accusations against 'Dodamom' Kim Mina, is attending the first trial sentencing hearing held at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul on the 6th. Photo by Kang Jinhyung aymsdream@
View original imageOn August 20, the 27th Criminal Division of the Seoul Central District Court (Presiding Judge Woo Inseong) sentenced Attorney Kang Yongseok to a fine of 10 million won and former journalist Kim Saeui to a fine of 7 million won, both indicted for violating the Public Official Election Act (dissemination of false information).
The court stated, "Given the number of real-time viewers at the time, the broadcast had significant reach; however, there is no data regarding the credibility of the broadcast's content, so it is unclear to what extent voters' perceptions were distorted by the dissemination of false information." The court added, "Nevertheless, the defendants did not verify sensitive matters such as the existence of an illegitimate child, and considering the seriousness of their actions, the offense is grave."
They were brought to trial in September 2022 on charges of making false statements during a YouTube broadcast, claiming that President Lee had been in a juvenile detention center as a child. They also faced charges for raising suspicions that, in connection with the incident in which First Lady Kim Hye-kyung was injured at home in November 2021, President Lee had an illegitimate child due to an affair, and that an accident occurred during a marital dispute caused by this.
The court found the remarks regarding President Lee's alleged juvenile detention to be not guilty. The court explained, "These statements merely suggest that President Lee may have a questionable past or hint at a criminal record, but it is difficult to regard them as specifying concrete facts."
Regarding the remarks about Mrs. Kim's fall, the court stated, "Given that all schedules were canceled despite the busy preparations for the presidential election, it is possible to speculate that a significant event occurred." The court added, "Considering that various suspicions were being raised by the media at the time, the suggestion of a marital dispute falls within the scope of reasonable suspicion."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "Reporters Who First Revealed Jo Jinwoong's Juvenile Offense History Cleared of Juvenile Act Violation"
- Instead of a National Assembly Profile, Now a 'Carpenter'... Ryu Hojung Says "I Couldn't Do a Body Profile Shoot Twice"
However, regarding the statement that "there was a marital dispute because of an affair resulting in an illegitimate child," the court said, "No objective evidence was ever presented, and this cannot be regarded as a reasonable suspicion."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.