Hamas "Ceasefire Negotiations Suspended"

The Israeli military conducted airstrikes overnight on Gaza City, the largest city in the Palestinian Gaza Strip, killing at least 17 people and injuring over 50. Hamas condemned the continuous bombings and announced it would suspend ceasefire negotiations.


According to multiple foreign media reports on the 14th (local time), the Israeli military carried out at least four airstrikes on four residential buildings in Gaza City at dawn. The previous day, the Israeli military dropped large bombs such as "bunker busters" on areas including the "humanitarian zone" Al Mawasi on the western coast of Khan Yunis, a southern city in the Gaza Strip, killing about 90 people and injuring around 300.


[Image source=AFP Yonhap News]

[Image source=AFP Yonhap News]

View original image

Israel stated that the airstrikes the day before targeted Muhammad Deif, commander of the Al-Qassam Brigades who led Hamas's surprise attack on Israel on October 7 last year, and Rafa Salameh, commander of the Khan Yunis Brigade. Some Israeli media speculated that Deif was seriously injured in the bombing, but Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at a press conference the previous day that it was unclear whether they had died. Hamas claimed that Commander Deif was alive and personally directing military operations.


A senior Hamas official told foreign media on the same day that they were withdrawing from ceasefire talks due to Israel's negotiation attitude and continued bombings. Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh said, "The occupying forces (Israel) lack seriousness, employ delay and obstruction tactics, and continue massacring unarmed civilians," and informed mediators of the suspension of negotiations, the official said.



On the 4th, Hamas delivered a revised proposal to Israel through Qatar and Egypt, excluding the previously maintained permanent ceasefire, including a 16-day ceasefire, hostage release, and additional negotiations for a six-week permanent ceasefire. However, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu demanded a ban on the return of armed men through northern Gaza. Israel had previously agreed not to restrict Palestinian access in northern Gaza during the ceasefire period.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing