"Returned Residents and Non-returned Residents Will Be Clearly Differentiated and Subject to Measures"

The government reiterated its intention to take clear and distinct measures between residents who returned to medical practice after leaving due to opposition to the increase in medical school admissions and those who have not returned.


On the 29th, Park Min-su, the 2nd Vice Minister of Health and Welfare, said at a briefing of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters held at the Government Seoul Office, "Nothing can be achieved through collective action," and added, "The government will make every effort to minimize disadvantages for residents who return."


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

He continued, "We plan to take clear and distinct measures between residents who have returned and those who have not," adding, "The beginning of solving the problem is for the residents to return."


It has been 100 days since the residents left the hospitals in protest against the increase in medical school admissions, but most have not yet returned. The government explained that although the number is small, the number of residents returning to the field is gradually increasing, and they are preparing the best measures so that residents who wish to return can do so comfortably without feeling pressured.


According to reports from 100 training hospitals, the government has identified 699 residents currently working on-site as of the 28th, an increase of 122 from 577 on the 30th of last month. Across all 211 training hospitals, 973 residents are working, accounting for 7.1% of the total.


Regarding suggestions that "more attention should be paid to residents who wish to return," Vice Minister Park said, "I agree," and added, "Creating conditions so that they can return comfortably is the government's most urgent priority. We are currently preparing the best measures to ensure that residents who wish to return can do so."


At the same time, the emergency medical system will continue to be maintained.


The government reviewed and approved a contingency fund of 77.5 billion won at the Cabinet meeting the day before. The plan is to support urgent projects to respond to medical gaps, such as dispatching public health doctors and military doctors, hiring substitute personnel like senior doctors, and supporting ambulance costs for all patients.


Gratitude was also expressed to nurses who are filling the treatment gaps. In particular, regarding the failure of the Nursing Act, a long-standing wish of the nursing community, in the 21st National Assembly, Vice Minister Park said, "It is regrettable," and added, "We will cooperate with the National Assembly to ensure legislation is passed as soon as possible."



Vice Minister Park promised, "During the discussions in the 22nd National Assembly, we will also consider ways to shorten the implementation period so that it can be applied to the field promptly." He also said, "Since February 27, we have been conducting a pilot project related to nursing duties to ensure that skilled nurses can work with legal stability, and as a result, we were able to respond quickly to treatment gaps. As of the end of April, 11,395 nurses participated in the pilot project, an increase of 12% in one month. We will continue to support the growth of physician assistant (PA) nurses as skilled medical professionals."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing