Minister Han Dong-hoon Calls Victim of 'Busan Dolryeochagi' Kick, Promises "I Will Take Better Care"
Minister of Justice Han Dong-hoon recently spoke with the victim of the 'Busan Dolleochagi' incident over the phone and promised to prevent recurrence, following reports that the victim had been threatened with retaliation by the perpetrator.
Minister of Justice Han Dong-hoon is responding during the Judiciary Committee's audit at the National Assembly held on the 11th. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@
View original imageAccording to victim A of the 'Busan Dolleochagi' incident on the 17th, he had a phone call with Minister Han on the 12th, arranged by Assemblyman Jo Jung-hoon of the Justice Committee from the Transition Korea party. The 12th was the day after Minister Han apologized during the National Assembly’s Justice Committee audit for the insufficient support provided to the victim in relation to the dolleochagi incident. Minister Han apologized once again to A and mentioned that he has been closely monitoring the situation since the perpetrator was incarcerated.
Recently, the perpetrator of this case, who is currently imprisoned at Busan Detention Center, was transferred to the Western Branch of the Busan District Prosecutors’ Office on charges of threatening to retaliate against A after release.
A said, "Minister Han said, 'I will do my best to ensure that nothing to worry about happens in the future,'" adding, "He also said he is paying special attention to the situation since the perpetrator was incarcerated." He continued, "He also said he would make sure the incarceration is properly managed so that nothing to worry about happens."
Minister Han also responded to A’s criticism that there are many institutional shortcomings for crime victims by saying, "I will examine it thoroughly."
A told Minister Han, "I am determined to improve the system as if my life depends on it in 20 years," and added, "There isn’t even a two-way alert smartwatch service in place, so in the current state, I have no choice but to die."
In response, Minister Han said, "It may take quite some time, but basically, we are trying to move in the direction you mentioned," and added, "Since these words come from someone who directly experienced the incident, we will take them more seriously and reflect them as much as possible."
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
The 'Busan Dolleochagi' incident involved a man who, on the morning of May 2 last year around 5 a.m., chased victim A for about 10 minutes in Busanjin-gu, Busan, as A was returning home, and assaulted him at the office-tel’s main entrance, attempting to kill him. The man was charged with rape and murder under the Sexual Violence Punishment Act and was sentenced to 20 years by the Supreme Court.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.