Ministry of SMEs and Startups: "Separate Applications Required for 1st and 2nd Quarantine Support Funds"

On the 23rd, a notice about quarantine support funds placed at the Seoul Jungbu Center of the Small Enterprise and Market Service in Seoul. / Photo by Yonhap News

On the 23rd, a notice about quarantine support funds placed at the Seoul Jungbu Center of the Small Enterprise and Market Service in Seoul. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Na Ye-eun] Some small business owners are voicing complaints that they missed the opportunity to receive the second round of COVID-19 quarantine support funds because the application period ended before they could confirm their eligibility for the first round of support.


According to the Ministry of SMEs and Startups (MSS) on the 24th, since the first round of quarantine support fund applications and payments began on December 27 last year, a total of 3.186 trillion KRW has been paid to 3.186 million people, with each receiving 1 million KRW, as of the 18th of this month.


However, there are still small business owners who have not even been able to confirm whether they are eligible for the payment.


The quarantine support fund application and payment process starts with cases where eligibility can be easily confirmed through the database (DB), followed by those requiring verification of sales decline and other criteria. If initially excluded from the eligible list, applicants must file an objection to confirm eligibility and then wait, which takes more than a month.


A, who runs a flower shop, told Yonhap News in a phone interview, "Another nearby flower shop received 1 million KRW for the first round and 3 million KRW for the second round. I filed an objection, but two months after the application was completed, the process has not progressed, and no one is explaining why."


B, a simplified taxpayer, also said, "I applied for both the first and second rounds together on the 28th of last month, but the process has not moved forward since then. The staff only parrots to wait, but if I am not eligible, I wish they would clearly inform me. I am exhausted from this month-long false hope."


There are claims that delays in the review of objections for the first round of quarantine support funds prevented some from applying for the second round.


In response, the MSS explained that the first and second rounds of quarantine support funds are separate programs requiring individual applications. An MSS official said, "Some apply only for the second round if they are eligible," adding, "Regardless of eligibility for the first round, the second round had to be applied for separately."


Regarding delays in reviewing first-round applications, the official stated, "In cases where sales data must be verified through the National Tax Service, it takes time. We plan to complete verification and notify applicants by the end of this month."



The MSS plans to accept additional objections for eligibility confirmation covering both the first and second rounds early next month.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing