Hong Kong Announces Election Postponement and Quarantine Measures Two Days After Xi Jinping's Directive
[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Chun-han] As soon as Chinese President Xi Jinping instructed to "mobilize all means to control COVID-19," Hong Kong quickly began taking action, including announcing the postponement of the Chief Executive election.
Carrie Lam, Hong Kong Chief Executive, held a press conference on the evening of the 18th, stating, "The COVID-19 outbreak situation is severe," and announced, "According to the Emergency Regulations Ordinance, the Chief Executive election will be postponed to May 8." The election was originally scheduled for the 27th of next month. Just a week earlier, Lam had said, "Since the Chief Executive election is an indirect election by the Election Committee (1,463 members), it will proceed as planned," but she announced the postponement just two days after President Xi's directive.
Earlier, on the 16th, pro-Beijing Hong Kong media Ta Kung Pao and Wen Wei Po reported, citing unnamed sources, that "President Xi told the Hong Kong government that COVID-19 prevention and control is the top priority and that all means must be mobilized to control and stabilize the situation as quickly as possible." Immediately after the election postponement announcement, the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council, which oversees Hong Kong affairs for the Chinese government, and the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region issued statements supporting the decision, calling it "a decision in line with Hong Kong's overall interests." Lam stated that her term, which ends on June 30, will not be extended due to the election postponement, but she did not rule out the possibility of further delays depending on the COVID-19 situation.
This is the second time an election has been postponed in Hong Kong due to COVID-19. Previously, the Legislative Council election scheduled for September 2020 was abruptly postponed one month prior. That election was held 15 months later, in December last year. At that time, Hong Kong was reporting 100 to 150 new daily COVID-19 cases. Currently, Hong Kong is experiencing tens of times more new cases, with over 6,000 new infections reported on both the 17th and 19th.
The South China Morning Post (SCMP) reported on the 19th that "as soon as President Xi prioritized the fight against COVID-19, the entire Hong Kong community has been busy strengthening epidemic prevention efforts." Lam emphasized, "We must not be distracted or make mistakes. This is in accordance with President Xi's important instructions," and stressed the need to concentrate all efforts on controlling COVID-19. She also stated, "We are considering conducting COVID-19 testing for all citizens once sufficient quarantine facilities and other conditions are prepared."
Hot Picks Today
"Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- Thai Freight Train Hits Bus: Engineer Tested Positive for Drugs and Lacked License
- "Striking Will Lead to Regret": Hyundai-Kia Employees Speak Out... Uneasy Stares Toward Samsung Union
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
At an online meeting chaired by Luo Huining, Director of the Liaison Office, on the 18th, business leaders proposed 16 measures related to epidemic prevention. Real estate companies offered hotels and new public rental housing they own as quarantine facilities and pledged to provide land for the construction of temporary COVID-19 hospitals. The business community promised to appoint Hong Kong's popular idol group 'Mirror' as epidemic prevention ambassadors and to ensure sufficient supply of rapid antigen test kits and stable food supply.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.