The Never-Ending Park Won-soon Case... Harm Towards the Victim Continues
After the Death of Former Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon, Secondary Harm to Victims
Also Attacks Against Victims' Legal Representatives
[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] Last year, the sexual harassment allegations against the late Park Won-soon, former mayor of Seoul, shocked our society. It was confirmed last month through a National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK) ex officio investigation that he sexually harassed Seoul city employees through inappropriate physical contact and text messages. However, even after the human rights commission's investigation announcement, secondary victimization has continued, including revealing the victim's real name and denying the former mayor's sexual violence allegations.
After the death of former Mayor Park, online platforms were flooded with secondary victimization directed at the victim. Attacks such as "Reveal the evidence of sexual harassment" and "The victim is also responsible" were aimed at the victim. These acts clearly constitute secondary victimization. The secondary harm did not stop there but extended to the disclosure of the victim's real name. Additionally, Shin Seung-mok, head of the Anti-Corruption Citizens' Participation Solidarity, announced plans to file charges against the victim for false accusation and murder with intent, sparking controversy. Shin also stated that he would recruit a national accuser group for this purpose.
The attacks were not limited to the victim alone. Lawyer Kim Jae-ryun, the victim's legal representative, was also subjected to abusive language. On the day of former Mayor Park's funeral in July last year, when Lawyer Kim held a press conference, posts circulated online referring to him as a "disgraceful lawyer holding a press conference on the day of the deceased's funeral." He was also reported to the police by Shin on charges of false accusation and instigation of false accusation.
Furthermore, on December 30 last year, the Seoul Northern District Prosecutors' Office announced the results of an investigation into the leak of information about the complaint against former Mayor Park, which included statements that seemed to partially acknowledge the sexual violence allegations. On the 14th of last month, the Seoul Central District Court Criminal Division 31 (Chief Judge Jo Seong-pil) ruled in a separate trial, stating, "Considering the multiple statements made, it is an undeniable fact that the victim suffered significant mental distress due to former Mayor Park's sexual harassment." Although some facts were acknowledged by the court, secondary victimization continued.
As this situation persisted, on the 8th of this month, Lawyer Kim posted a criticism of former Mayor Park's supporters on his social media service (SNS). He said, "Through the Northern District Prosecutors' Office announcement, the Seoul Central District Court ruling, and the Human Rights Commission decision, the facts about why former Mayor Park died and what harm the victim suffered have been organized and announced," adding, "Nevertheless, more than 1,000 people have joined the claim to accuse the victim of murder."
Lawyer Kim continued, "There are comments on SNS openly stating that the yellow-headed representative who represents the victim should be driven to suicide," and wrote, "Even facts recognized by state institutions are powerless before them." He also questioned, "What can an individual victim do in the face of their collective agitation?" emphasizing, "It is impossible to convince those who operate within the realm of belief."
Meanwhile, a letter reportedly written by former Mayor Park's wife, Kang Nan-hee, was circulated online recently. The letter contained statements such as, "My husband Park Won-soon is not that kind of person. I believe in Park Won-soon's life and trust him until the end." It also said, "The essence of the Park Won-soon spirit that I have known for 40 years is morality," and "My family and I believe in Park Won-soon's morality and think it should be restored." Women's groups responded to the letter by calling it secondary victimization against the victim.
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
On the 10th, Woo Sang-ho, the Democratic Party of Korea's Seoul mayoral candidate, comforted the bereaved family via SNS, calling former Mayor Park his role model and a comrade who discussed democracy and human rights. He wrote, "I will carry out Seoul city policies with the mindset that Park Won-soon is Woo Sang-ho, and Woo Sang-ho is Park Won-soon." In response, the victim issued a statement saying, "You said you would inherit the former mayor's policies, but will you also continue policies such as making public officials receive proxy prescriptions, organizing the mayor's underwear, and buying holiday food for the mayor's family?" She added, "The council member's sympathy for the bereaved family is a crushing violence to me and my family as victims."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.