Kwon Deok-cheol "Precarious Crisis Situation... Must Shift to Decline Without Raising to Level 3" (Comprehensive)
Metropolitan Area Level 2.5 and Non-Metropolitan Area Level 2 Restrictions Extended Until January 3
[Asia Economy Reporters Seo So-jeong and Kim Heung-soon] The government has decided not to escalate social distancing to level 3, but to extend the current level 2.5 measures applied in the metropolitan area and level 2 measures in non-metropolitan areas until January 3 next year. Whether to adjust the distancing levels will be reconsidered based on the situation thereafter.
On the afternoon of the 27th, Kwon Deok-cheol, 1st Deputy Head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (CDSCH) and Minister of Health and Welfare, stated at a regular briefing, "Currently, the capacity of quarantine and medical systems can be maintained, and it is necessary to observe the effects of reducing contact through strengthened quarantine measures for high-risk facilities and restrictions on gatherings and travel under the year-end and New Year’s special quarantine measures," explaining the decision.
Kwon said, "The recent COVID-19 situation has suppressed rapid spread, but there has been no special turnaround showing a decline in the increase of cases. However, the reproduction number in the metropolitan area dropped from 1.27 last week to 1.07 this week, which is a positive sign."
He added, "Since the year-end and New Year’s special quarantine measures are in effect until January 3, we will extend the current metropolitan area level 2.5 and non-metropolitan area level 2 measures until then while monitoring the trend, and then comprehensively review the distancing measures."
Accordingly, the metropolitan area’s level 2.5 and non-metropolitan area’s level 2 social distancing measures, which were scheduled to end on the 28th, will be extended for six days until January 3 next year, coinciding with the year-end and New Year’s special quarantine period (December 24, 2020 ? January 3, 2021).
The quarantine authorities decided to supplement some quarantine rules that have been suggested due to the balloon effect in the field. Fast food restaurants will be allowed only takeout and delivery when ordering coffee, beverages, or desserts, similar to cafes, and unmanned cafes will prohibit seating inside the store. The ban on gatherings at holdem pubs will also be expanded nationwide. In non-metropolitan areas, these measures for fast food restaurants, unmanned cafes, and holdem pubs will be applied from 0:00 on the 29th.
Severe Situation Continues Without Clear Turnaround
Transmission Among Families Accounts for 24% of Total
Kwon described the current situation as a precarious balance between the speed of epidemic spread and efforts to block it through social distancing, testing, and epidemiological investigations. He said, "In the past week (20th?27th), the average daily domestic cases were 999, continuing the trend of around 1,000 cases daily over the past two weeks. The slowdown in rapid increase and the absence of a significant rise is a fortunate outcome, but the severe situation continues without a clear turnaround."
In particular, in the metropolitan area, the epicenter of the outbreak, about 700 cases per day have been reported over the past two weeks, showing a significant slowdown in case increases, whereas in non-metropolitan areas, cases have continued to rise to the 300s. Recently, transmission among families has also been frequent. Looking at the characteristics of the outbreak over the past month, family transmission accounted for about 24% of total cases, and about 44% of patients aged 19 or younger were infected through previously confirmed family members.
Kwon emphasized, "If we can accelerate epidemic blocking a little more by doubling the speed of epidemiological investigations and strengthening protection of social distancing and high-risk facilities, we can reverse the situation." He also said, "The current phase is a precarious crisis," and added, "We hope the year-end and New Year’s special quarantine measures will be effective in turning the current phase into a downward trend without escalating to level 3 distancing."
He urged, "Refraining from going out and gatherings and adhering to distancing and quarantine rules is the way to protect yourself and your loved ones. Even within families living together, please carefully check for any suspicious symptoms, and if suspected, wear masks and maintain distancing at home and get tested immediately."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- Brilliant Korean Technology Flows Overseas... Subsidies Granted, but "No Product Launch Allowed"
- Singer Kim Minjong Responds to MC Mong's Gambling Allegations: "Clearly False... Legal Action to Follow"
- Instead of a Lawmaker Profile, Now a 'Carpenter'...Ryu Hojung Says "I Can't Do a Body Profile Twice"
He continued, "If the mature civic consciousness shown so far and the solidarity and cooperation for all of us continue, I am confident that a more hopeful time will come in the new year," and added, "The government will also carefully monitor quarantine in vulnerable and high-risk facilities and strive to maximize the effectiveness of these measures."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.