WHO: "COVID-19 Could Become Endemic"
Citizens: "Urgent Need for Long-Term Strategies"
Expert: "Government's Long-Term Plan Is to Suppress Explosive Outbreaks"

On the morning of the 6th, citizens wearing masks are moving to transfer trains at Sindorim Station on Subway Line 1 in Guro-gu, Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News

On the morning of the 6th, citizens wearing masks are moving to transfer trains at Sindorim Station on Subway Line 1 in Guro-gu, Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy, reporter Kim Gayoun] As the cluster infection of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) originating from clubs in Itaewon, Seoul continues to spread, the World Health Organization (WHO) has analyzed that COVID-19 could become endemic, recurring periodically.


As a result, public concern about the prolonged COVID-19 crisis is growing. Some citizens criticized that "social distancing" measures were lifted too hastily, while others stressed the urgent need for long-term strategies instead of short-term measures that change every week in response to evolving circumstances.


In particular, elementary, middle, high school, and university students nationwide, along with their parents, who have faced multiple postponements of school openings and in-person classes, expressed frustration, arguing that their right to education and health could be infringed upon.


After four postponements, all elementary, middle, and high schools nationwide had been conducting remote classes. The plan was to gradually resume in-person classes starting with 12th graders on May 13. However, due to the spread of the club-related cluster infection, the school reopening schedule was delayed by one week. Accordingly, 12th graders will return to school on May 20; 11th graders, 9th graders, 1st and 2nd graders in elementary school, and kindergarteners will return on May 27; 10th graders, 8th graders, and 3rd and 4th graders in elementary school will return on June 1; and 7th graders and 5th and 6th graders in elementary school will return on June 8.


Parent A, who has a child in 11th grade, said, "Everyone must be feeling the same way right now, but since my child is in high school, I am especially on edge, paying close attention to the news every day. This is about our children's lives, so I believe a more long-term plan is needed. The start of the semester should have been postponed from the beginning."


Parent A added, "Even before the club-related outbreak, there were consistently confirmed cases with unknown routes of infection. The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention even said that sources of infection existed in the community. I don't understand why in-person classes are being pushed forward under these circumstances."


Some have also raised concerns that long-term measures are needed for quarantine policies such as "social distancing," which has been extended every 1-2 weeks. Given the "golden holiday" period from April 30 to May 5, some argue that the transition to everyday quarantine should have been delayed by another 1-2 weeks.


In fact, Patient No. 66 from Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, who is suspected to be the first Itaewon club-related case, visited five clubs and bars in the Itaewon area from May 1 to the morning of May 2, and was confirmed to have COVID-19 on May 6-just two days after the quarantine system shifted to "distancing in daily life."


Office worker B (32) said, "I think the shift to everyday quarantine was a bit premature just because the number of daily confirmed cases had decreased. Even before the holidays, the number of confirmed cases kept dropping, and as talk of everyday quarantine emerged, many people, myself included, let their guard down."


B continued, "I think we should have observed the situation for at least a week after the holidays. Even now, it seems that the spread from clubs and bars is being brought under control, but if restrictions are eased immediately, I am concerned that such outbreaks will keep recurring."


On the morning of the 13th, citizens wearing masks are leaving Gwanghwamun Station in Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News

On the morning of the 13th, citizens wearing masks are leaving Gwanghwamun Station in Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Criticism that control measures were relaxed too early has also emerged in China. On May 14 (local time), the Global Times in China cited Zhou Zijun, a public health expert at Peking University, as saying, "Entertainment venues such as bars, clubs, and cinemas are usually crowded and the virus can spread easily, so they should not be reopened too soon. Even if restrictions on these facilities are lifted, strong measures must be in place to track users."


Experts have emphasized that both short- and long-term measures have already been established at the government level, and that public participation and cooperation are necessary.


Um Joongsik, a professor of infectious diseases at Gachon University Gil Medical Center, explained, "Both short- and long-term measures have been prepared. Right now, the situation is changing rapidly on a weekly and even daily basis, so the government is responding accordingly. The key point is that the government's long-term strategy is to suppress explosive outbreaks so that infections occur over a longer period. The goal is to minimize the collapse of the medical system and social losses caused by a sudden surge in cases."


Regarding the argument that "social distancing was ended too early," Professor Um said, "I agree with some parts and disagree with others."


He continued, "In retrospect, it might have been better to wait until after the holidays and ensure we were sufficiently prepared for everyday quarantine before lifting social distancing. However, participation and focus on social distancing were already declining at that time, so even if the government had tried to encourage voluntary participation, I don't think it would have worked well."


Meanwhile, on May 13 (local time), the WHO stated that the COVID-19 pandemic could become endemic.


According to CNN and other sources, Michael Ryan, Executive Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme, said at a briefing that day, "This virus may become just another endemic virus in our communities, and this virus may never go away. HIV has not gone away. I'm not comparing the two diseases, but I think we need to be realistic."



He added, "We need to reach a stage where there is very significant control of the virus," and emphasized, "We must have very strong public health surveillance and health systems in place to respond to any resurgence."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing