[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporters Kang Nahum and Jeon Jinyoung] The Democratic Party's Strategic Nomination Committee's decision to designate 13 constituencies where incumbent lawmakers are not running for re-election as strategic nomination districts has sparked strong opposition from prospective candidates in those areas.


On the 15th, the Democratic Party's Strategic Nomination Committee held a meeting at the National Assembly to select the first round of strategic nomination districts for the upcoming general election and decided to submit the matter as an agenda item to the Supreme Council.


According to party regulations, the specific results of the meeting were not disclosed that day. However, immediately after the meeting, Strategic Nomination Committee Chair Do Jonghwan told reporters, when asked if the 13 constituencies where incumbents are not running were decided as strategic nomination districts, "The decision is not ours to make; it will be made by the Supreme Council," adding, "The Supreme Council is expected to make a decision around Friday (the 17th)." When reporters continued to ask if the 13 districts submitted as agenda items to the Supreme Council were the ones anticipated so far, he replied, "Yes."


So far, the constituencies where incumbents have declared they will not run include Seoul Jongno, Gwangjin B, Guro B, Yongsan, Gyeonggi Goyang Jeong, Goyang Byeong, Yongin Jeong, Gwangmyeong Gap, Bucheon Ojeong, Sejong, Gyeongnam Yangsan B, and Jeju Jeju Gap, totaling 12 districts. In addition, the constituency of Gyeonggi Uijeongbu Gap, represented by National Assembly Speaker Moon Heesang, who is also expected not to run, brings the total to 13 districts being discussed as strategic nomination constituencies.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

Upon hearing this news, prospective candidate Park Heesoo, running in Jeju Gap, criticized, "Not even being allowed to participate in the primary is unreasonable. Strategic nomination lacks justification. Unilateral strategic nomination is clearly factional politics and secretive collusion politics," adding, "If the central party ignores local sentiment and residents and unilaterally appoints a specific person as the local candidate, it will inevitably lead to a repeat of the defeat in the last Jeju gubernatorial election."


A female prospective candidate who requested anonymity said, "It makes no sense to parachute candidates into districts where female prospective candidates are actively campaigning," and added, "I hope the party thoroughly reviews and evaluates the characteristics of the districts and the activities of the candidates. Isn't 'fairness' the key issue in our society?"


Earlier, Kim Sangjin, a former Blue House administrator registered as a prospective candidate in Gwangjin B, released local poll results and demanded a detailed local inspection, stating, "Gwangjin B does not fall under the category of 'districts where opposition candidates are strong and our party lacks competitive candidates,' which has been proven."


Strategic nomination is a sensitive issue not only for prospective candidates but also for incumbent lawmakers. Depending on the lawmaker evaluation results, their constituencies could be selected as strategic nomination districts. Even if excluded from strategic nomination districts, the bottom 20% in lawmaker evaluations will face disadvantages in primaries. If lawmakers reject the evaluation results, it is expected that the nomination process will face significant difficulties.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

Meanwhile, the Democratic Party is continuing its qualification screening for prospective candidates. On the 14th, the Democratic Party's Public Office Candidate Verification Committee deferred the qualification decision for Kim Uigyeom, former Blue House spokesperson who declared his candidacy in Gunsan, Jeonbuk. The committee judged that the controversy over Kim's real estate speculation involving the purchase and sale of redevelopment commercial properties in Heukseok-dong, Seoul, had not been sufficiently clarified.



Previously, Kim resigned after speculation arose following the disclosure that he had purchased a complex building in Heukseok-dong, Dongjak-gu, Seoul, for 2.57 billion won in July 2018, as revealed in the '2019 Public Official Regular Property Change Report.'


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing