Iran: "Strait of Hormuz Blockade Could Generate Twice the Revenue of Oil Exports"
US: "China Also Opposes the Imposition of Transit Fees"
Iran has indicated its intention to further tighten control over the Strait of Hormuz, stating that revenue from transit fees could surpass its earnings from crude oil exports. The United States has pushed back, noting that even China, which is generally friendly toward Iran, opposes the imposition of such fees.
According to Iran's state-run Press TV on May 13 (local time), Mohammad Akraminia, spokesperson for the Iranian military, said in a statement, "The western part of the Strait of Hormuz is under the control of the Revolutionary Guards, while the eastern part is controlled by the Iranian military. Through the synergy of joint operations, we will generate revenue up to twice the amount earned from crude oil exports." He further asserted, "From now on, all vessels using the Strait must be guaranteed safe passage under the supervision of the Iranian military."
The National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian Parliament also announced on the same day, "A comprehensive plan for the security and development of the Strait of Hormuz has been finalized. Iran now intends to utilize the strait for economic production, national defense and security, and maritime services." The committee added, "The views of the Iranian government and the General Staff of the Armed Forces have been consolidated, and with reference to international law, we are also considering the possibility of entering into agreements with other countries."
Bloomberg News pointed out, "Considering that Iran's oil exports last year amounted to about $30 billion, with net profits of around $20 billion, the transit revenue Iran has calculated for the strait would exceed $40 billion annually." While Iran has not officially announced the imposition of transit fees, it is reported that some tankers, including those belonging to China, have already paid $2 million (approximately 3 billion won) per vessel when passing through the Strait of Hormuz.
The United States is pushing back against these plans. The previous day, the U.S. State Department stated that China also opposes the imposition of transit fees for the Strait of Hormuz. State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott responded to questions regarding the strait's transit fees on May 12, saying, "U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi agreed during a phone call last month that no country or organization should be permitted to impose transit fees for passage through international waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz." It is unusual for the U.S. State Department to disclose the details of a call with China's top diplomat.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Bull Market End Signal? Securities Firm Warns: "Sell SK hynix 'At This Moment'"
- "Looks Even More Like Him in Person": Albino Water Buffalo with Golden Hair and Pink Skin Nicknamed 'Trump'
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
The difference in positions regarding the transit fees is expected to be reflected in future negotiations to end the conflict. U.S. Vice President JD Vance reiterated President Trump's negotiation red line. At a White House press conference that day, he said, "We believe we are making progress. However, the fundamental issue is whether we can make sufficient progress to meet President Trump's red line." He explained, "The red line is very simple: ensuring that Iran is prevented from possessing nuclear weapons by establishing various safeguards."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.