The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs announced on the 20th that the damage area caused by diseases and pests such as fire blight and pear black spot is very minimal and will not affect this year's production volume.


The ministry held a 'Meeting to Check the Supply and Growth Status of Agricultural Products' at the Government Complex Sejong, chaired by Park Su-jin, Director of the Food Policy Office, to review the growth status of apples and pears and the summer disaster response plan.


The ministry evaluated that currently, nationwide, the thinning work to improve the marketability of apples and pears and the fruit enlargement process, where the size of the fruit increases, are progressing smoothly. In particular, the early-ripening apple variety Hongro, which is distributed during Chuseok, has a large amount of flowering and good fruit set, so it is expected that the crop will be above the average level.



A customer visiting Hanaro Mart Yangjae Branch in Seocho-gu, Seoul is looking at the price of apples. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@

A customer visiting Hanaro Mart Yangjae Branch in Seocho-gu, Seoul is looking at the price of apples. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@

View original image

A ministry official said, "Regarding Fuji, a mid-late maturing variety that accounts for about 62% of apple cultivation, considering the June growth survey by the Rural Development Administration and opinions from the nationwide Fruit APC (Agricultural Product Center) Operation Council, although there are regional differences, the overall crop is expected to be at the average level nationwide," adding, "The damage area caused by diseases and pests such as fire blight and pear black spot is very minimal and is analyzed not to affect this year's production volume."


According to the ministry, the area affected by fire blight is 55.2 hectares (as of June 19), which is about 0.1% of the total apple and pear cultivation area of 43,000 hectares. This year's affected area is about 21.5% of the 256.3 hectares recorded on June 19, 2020, when the damage to apple and pear cultivation was the greatest.


In addition, for pear black spot, the damage area was surveyed to be about 40 hectares in the Naju region of Jeollanam-do in May, which is about 0.4% of the total pear cultivation area of approximately 9,600 hectares. Considering the current temperature rise and the subsiding state, the ministry forecasts that the impact on pear production will be very minimal.


The ministry plans to thoroughly carry out pre-inspections of disaster prevention facilities such as shade nets, windbreak nets, and support facilities, drainage maintenance, strengthening of farmers' response guidelines and technical guidance, focusing on areas at risk of damage until before the rainy season. Especially for anthracnose, which caused significant damage last year, the ministry will immediately disseminate farmers' response guidelines such as spraying pesticides before the rainy season starts and closely monitor weather forecasts to minimize damage. The ministry also urged related organizations such as the Rural Development Administration, local governments, and the Nonghyup to do their best.



Director Park said, "Just as we overcame the cold damage in spring without major losses through early installation of cold damage prevention facilities, related organizations will work together to thoroughly manage remaining risks such as the rainy season and heat waves," adding, "We plan to respond with full force until the harvest season to ensure a stable and sufficient supply of fresh fruit and reduce the burden on the public."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing