Final Decision Lies with the President, Demand Varies
Deans Say "Need to Increase by 350"
Ministry of Education Also States "Decision Authority Belongs to the President"

As the Ministry of Education conducts a demand survey on medical school quotas by universities until the 4th of next month, the burden on university presidents who will make the final decision on the internal demand has increased. Although the government has firmly established the policy to increase the quota by 2,000, there is considerable opposition from deans and professors who must participate in the opinion gathering process.


A president of a national university in a provincial area said in a phone interview with Asia Economy on the 29th, "There was a faculty meeting, and I received a report that many professors supported the increase." He added, "The numbers need to be reorganized again," and "It is not decided by one person, but after gathering opinions from the academic affairs office, deans, and hospital directors, the number approved at the final decision meeting of the deans will be the ultimate variable."


A president of a private university in Seoul also said that internal opinion gathering would be conducted. He said, "Authority has been delegated to the medical school, and I will ultimately consult with them," adding, "Our school will not proceed unilaterally."


The Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Ministry of Education conducted a demand survey for medical school quota increases targeting 40 medical schools nationwide for two weeks from October 27 to November 9 last year. The survey results showed that the proposed increase scale for the 2025 academic year ranged from a minimum of 2,151 to a maximum of 2,847 across all medical schools.


In response to the government's plan to increase medical school quotas by 2,000, medical students nationwide have decided on the 20th of this month to submit leave of absence applications together. The photo was taken on the 16th at a medical school in Seoul. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@

In response to the government's plan to increase medical school quotas by 2,000, medical students nationwide have decided on the 20th of this month to submit leave of absence applications together. The photo was taken on the 16th at a medical school in Seoul. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@

View original image

Earlier, medical school deans acknowledged, "At the time of the demand survey, we submitted an excessive scale compared to the actual educational conditions of each university," and stated that an increase of 350 students in medical school admissions would be appropriate. On the afternoon of the 27th, Shin Chansu, chairman of the Korea Association of Medical Colleges (KAMC), said after a general meeting with 25 medical school deans, "We confirmed again that the number universities can immediately accept for the 2025 academic year quota is 350."


Kim Changsoo, emergency committee chairman of the National Medical School Professors Association, said, "I understand that there was no opinion gathering from professors," and "The decision was made at the level of deans or university presidents." He emphasized, "It is necessary to carefully review investment capacity and manpower situations, then consult and announce accordingly."



The Ministry of Education expects each university to submit a demand for more than 2,000 students. Shim Mincheol, Director of Talent Policy Planning at the Ministry of Education, explained, "Deans may have different interests, but basically, the quota decision is made by the president," adding, "There are universities that see this as an opportunity to increase the quota." The Ministry of Education plans to receive medical school quota increase applications from universities by the 4th of next month.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing