Cho Tae-yong: "Partial Suspension of 9·19 Agreement Is a Measure to Protect Our Capital Region Citizens"
Cho Tae-yong, Director of the National Security Office, stated on the 26th that "the partial suspension of the effectiveness of the September 19 Southern Military Agreement is a measure to protect the 20 million people in our Seoul metropolitan area."
In an interview with a broadcasting company on the same day, Director Cho explained, "I don't think many people consider the September 19 Agreement an achievement, and I don't think so either."
He continued, "The September 19 Agreement is very disadvantageous to us," adding, "The core of the partial suspension of effectiveness is restoring our ability to conduct surveillance and reconnaissance activities, which were prohibited under the agreement." He also said, "North Korea has placed the entire Seoul metropolitan area within range of its long-range artillery besides its nuclear weapons," and "Our military had been constantly monitoring the long-range artillery and was prepared to respond immediately if signs of an attack appeared, but we couldn't do that because of the September 19 Agreement."
Regarding criticism that the partial suspension of the September 19 Agreement's effectiveness provokes a crisis, he emphasized, "We intend to conduct surveillance and reconnaissance, not to fire a single shot toward North Korea," calling it "a minimum purely defensive measure."
However, Director Cho said that the possibility of dialogue with North Korea remains open. He stated, "Who proposed dialogue and who rejected it can be clearly seen by looking at the facts over the past year and a half without me having to explain," and added, "Our government keeps the door to dialogue open."
He further explained, "For example, during Chuseok or Lunar New Year, humanitarian activities such as reunions of separated families can be conducted anytime, and if North Korea requires humanitarian aid, we can consider that as well," adding, "Through the 'Bold Initiative,' we have proposed various medical supports that North Korea might need, but North Korea has not responded even when we suggested holding talks to explain these proposals."
Regarding the Korea-Japan-China summit, he said, "Even if not within this year, I expect it will be held," and added, "We have said we want to hold the Korea-Japan-China summit, which hasn't been held for four years, and both China and Japan agreed, so now it's a matter of setting the date. I think progress will be made on that."
On the issue of Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to South Korea, he said, "I think they will consider it as the next step after the Korea-Japan-China summit." Regarding the failed Korea-China summit at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meeting, he interpreted, "China does not seem to want this to be taken as a major issue or something that shakes Korea-China relations."
Director Cho described President Yoon Suk-yeol's state visit to the United Kingdom as "a landmark visit that established South Korea as an important partner to the UK, on par with Japan and China."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Bull Market End Signal? Securities Firm Warns: "Sell SK hynix 'At This Moment'"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Regarding President Yoon's visit to France to promote the 2030 Busan World Expo bid, he emphasized, "Although the leaders of competing countries Saudi Arabia and Italy did not come, our president negotiated until the very end."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.