Changwon Northern Ring Road Route Change Proposal ... Changwon City-Residents 'Disagreement'
Residents of Angol in Dogye-dong have opposed the revised plan for the second phase of the Northern Ring Road construction project connecting Myeonggok-dong in Changwon Special City, Gyeongnam, to Yonggang Intersection in Dong-eup.
On the 5th, residents opposing the route change and the Progressive Party Gyeongnam Provincial Committee held a press conference in front of the main entrance of Changwon City Hall, urging the cancellation of the Northern Ring Road revision plan.
They stated, "On August 29, a closed-door public hearing was held at Uichang District Office without any residents knowing," and added, "The originally planned second phase construction route was changed within six months, and the budget increased from 39.4 billion KRW to 90.8 billion KRW."
They raised their voices, saying, "What use is a road that can only be used by going up the Taebok Tunnel, does not solve the chronic congestion between Yonggang Intersection and Dogye Meeting Square, crosses through Dogye Angol, yet the residents of Dogye Angol cannot even use it? Who is this road for?"
They demanded the cancellation of the revised route and a full re-examination, stating, "If an elevated road passes over the residents' heads, it will only bring damage such as natural destruction, noise pollution, dust, and hinder development under the road to Angol, which is famous for its clean air."
They also announced plans to hold a residents' rally opposing the route change at the Dogye Angol site on the 15th.
A press conference opposing the route change plan for the second phase of the Northern Circular Road construction in Changwon, Gyeongnam is being held.
[Photo by Lee Seryeong]
After the press conference, the residents and the Progressive Party headed to City Hall to directly deliver to the mayor a petition opposing the route change signed by 1,300 people and to express their opinions.
During this process, a conflict arose with City Hall officials who said a meeting on the day was difficult due to scheduling, and after a long standoff, it was agreed to deliver the petition after coordinating a future schedule.
Previously, Changwon City planned to promote the second phase of the Northern Ring Road construction project to establish an inner and outer connecting road network linking National Routes 14 and 35 and to increase road usage services by dispersing urban traffic volume.
The original route was a section connecting Dogye-dong to Yonggang Intersection in Dong-eup, but in August it was changed to connect Myeonggok-dong to Yonggang Intersection in Dong-eup.
Due to the route change, the project period, originally from 2018 to 2025, was extended to 2030, and the total project cost increased from about 39.4 billion KRW to approximately 90.8 billion KRW.
Planned route for Phase 2 section of the Northern Ring Road in Changwon, Gyeongnam. [Data provided by Changwon Special City Hall]
View original imageA city official said, "This construction is the Northern Ring Road project connecting Changwon Central Station to Yonggang Intersection, and half of the total project cost will be covered by support funds for areas around the US Forces Korea concession zone."
"During the road construction promotion for the Dogye-dong to Yonggang Intersection section, in September 2022, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport requested improvements regarding the appropriateness of road circulation and roundabout locations in the review of facilities not reflected in the greenbelt," the official explained. "Once the route adjustment and project plan revision applied to the Ministry of the Interior and Safety and the Ministry of Economy and Finance are finalized, the project will proceed."
"The existing route passes through a densely populated residential area in Dogye-dong, and it was assessed that parked vehicles around the residential area would prevent full use of the four-lane road," the official added. "Due to the steep slope and the inability to function properly as a ring road, the route was changed to go directly to Yonggang Intersection without passing through the Dogye-dong residential area."
Regarding residents' claims of a closed-door public hearing, the city official rebutted, "A public hearing was held on August 29, and the schedule and details were mailed to expected landowners and published in three newspapers and public notices."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- Iranian Military Spokesperson: "Ceasefire Was an Opportunity to Strengthen Forces... Ready to Respond to War"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
"If the revised route for the second phase is promoted, the construction of a connecting road to Dogye-dong will be possible, improving local traffic and residential environment," the official said. "Once the revision is finalized, we will hold residents' briefings during the feasibility re-investigation and detailed design stages, reflecting opinions to build a road that is helpful and convenient for residents, and cooperate closely."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.