Assemblyman Hayoungje Admits Most Charges in First Trial, Says "Some Amounts Were Not Prearranged"
The image of Representative Ha Young-je heading to the courtroom for the detention hearing.
[Photo by Lee Se-ryeong]
National Assembly member Ha Young-je, who was indicted on charges of violating the Political Funds Act, admitted to all charges except for some during the first trial held on the 20th.
According to the court, Ha was prosecuted on charges of receiving money in exchange for helping nominate preliminary candidates for the Gyeongnam Provincial Assembly elections from March 2020 to June last year.
He is accused of pocketing a total of 167.5 million won under the pretext of operating expenses for local offices from preliminary candidates, local government heads, and aides.
On March 20, the 4th Criminal Division of Changwon District Prosecutors' Office applied for an arrest warrant for Ha on charges including violations of the Political Funds Act and the Improper Solicitation and Graft Act. Although the National Assembly passed a motion to consent to his arrest in the same month, the arrest warrant was dismissed on April 3 due to no concerns of evidence destruction or flight risk.
At the first trial held at the Jinju Branch of Changwon District Court, the prosecution presented the charges against Ha, former Sacheon Mayor Song Do-geun, former Gyeongnam Provincial Assembly member A, and Ha's former aide.
The prosecution stated that Ha received 37.5 million won from former Mayor Song's side for local office operating expenses, 40 million won from the former provincial assembly member as election expenses, and 20 million won from the former aide by returning part of the salary.
Ha's defense lawyer said, "Regarding the 37.5 million won received from former Sacheon Mayor Song, some amounts were not pre-agreed to be received, but all other charges are admitted."
When the judge asked if Ha shared the same position as his lawyer, Ha nodded and admitted the facts.
Earlier, on May 24, Ha announced his resignation from the People Power Party through a statement, saying, "I am leaving the party to avoid causing even a small burden to it."
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- "Was This Delicious Treat Enjoyed Only by Koreans?"... The K-Dessert Captivating Japan
- Despite Captivating the Nation for Over a Month... "Timmy" the Whale Ultimately Found Dead
- KOSPI Plunges Early Then Rebounds to Close Above 7,500
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
The next trial is scheduled to be held at 3 p.m. on August 24 in the same courtroom.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.