Former Seongnam Urban Development Corporation Director Yoo Dong-gyu again changed some facts related to the bribery he testified to the prosecution that he gave to former Democratic Research Institute Deputy Director Kim Yong in 2013, this time in court.


Yoo Dong-gyu, former Planning Director of Seongnam Urban Development Corporation [Image source=Yonhap News]

Yoo Dong-gyu, former Planning Director of Seongnam Urban Development Corporation [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

On the 13th, Yoo appeared as a witness at the trial of Kim on charges including bribery under the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Crimes, held at the Seoul Central District Court Criminal Division 23 (Presiding Judge Jo Byung-gu), and testified.


The prosecution stated in the indictment that the first 10 million won out of the 190 million won Yoo gave to Kim was delivered around the Lunar New Year in February 2013 at Kim's office in the Seongnam City Council. Yoo testified in last year's prosecution investigation that he received 20 million won from Nam Wook, a private contractor in Daejang-dong, and gave 10 million won each to Kim and former Chief Political Coordination Officer Jeong Jin-sang.


However, Yoo changed his position when he appeared as a witness at Jeong's trial on May 12. Yoo said, "I can say 100% that I gave it to Jeong Jin-sang, but about Kim Yong, it's about 80% yes and 20% no," adding, "If not Kim Yong, I would have spent it myself, but I went to Kim Yong's office several times to deliver 10 million won, so the timing is unclear."


On that day, during the prosecution's witness examination, Yoo somewhat changed his stance, saying it was certain that he gave the 10 million won from Nam to Kim. However, he said he could not recall whether the timing was around the Lunar New Year in February 2013 as stated in the indictment.


Regarding the indictment that he gave 10 million won to Kim around the Chuseok holiday in September of the same year, Yoo said, "I did not omit Jeong Jin-sang, but I am not sure about Kim Yong." Yoo confirmed that he gave 10 million won twice at Kim's city council office that year but said the timing was unclear.


Yoo said, "Jeong Jin-sang always takes care of the Lunar New Year and Chuseok, but Kim Yong has no such concept," adding, "It is certain that I went to Kim Yong's office to give the money, but I am not sure if it was exactly Lunar New Year or Chuseok."


The court pointed out, "The witness's basic position was that he received 20 million won each from Nam around Lunar New Year and Chuseok and gave 10 million won each to Jeong and Kim, but today's testimony shows that he generally cannot remember exactly when he gave it to Kim."


As Yoo's testimony wavered, the prosecution asked, "During last year's investigation, were you first asked by the prosecutor whether you gave money around the holidays, or were you coerced or pressured to testify?" Yoo answered, "No." Kim's side continues to claim that the prosecution coerced the testimony.



The court said, "I am not sure whether this is grounds for dismissal or cancellation of the indictment, but if necessary, we will consider it."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing