Yoon Orders Swift Action to Expand Disclosure of Violent Crime Perpetrators' Identities Against Women
President Yoon Orders Swift Expansion of Public Disclosure
"Busan Kicking Case" and Public Demand for Identity Disclosure Reported at Senior Secretaries' Meeting
Appellate Court Verdict for Defendant A Scheduled for Today
On June 12, President Yoon Suk Yeol ordered the swift implementation of measures to expand the public disclosure of personal information for perpetrators of violent crimes against women.
Kim Eun-hye, Senior Presidential Secretary for Public Relations, conveyed in a written briefing that President Yoon issued this directive to the Ministry of Justice during a senior secretaries' meeting held that morning at the presidential office in Yongsan.
During the meeting, President Yoon was briefed on the so-called "Busan Kicking Case," for which an appellate court ruling is scheduled for the same day, as well as on the growing public demand for broader disclosure of criminals' identities in response to this incident.
The Busan Kicking Case refers to an incident in Busan in May last year, in which a man followed a woman in her twenties for over ten minutes as she was returning home, and then assaulted her indiscriminately in the shared entrance of an officetel, causing her to lose consciousness.
The victim recently appeared on a YouTube channel and expressed frustration, stating, "The prosecution and police said it would be difficult to disclose the perpetrator's identity." In response, the YouTuber who runs the channel and Kim Minseok, a member of the Gangseo District Council, took it upon themselves to publicly reveal the perpetrator's identity. This has led to calls for expanding the scope of identity disclosure, as well as controversy over private sanctions.
Initially, investigative authorities only decided to disclose identities for crimes falling under Article 2 of the Act on Special Cases Concerning the Punishment of Specific Violent Crimes and Article 2 of the Act on Special Cases Concerning the Punishment, etc. of Sexual Crimes. However, the perpetrator, referred to as Mr. A, was charged only with attempted murder, which excluded him from mandatory disclosure.
However, during the appeal, prosecutors changed the indictment to include attempted rape and murder as the main charge, after proving in the second trial that Mr. A dragged the victim into a CCTV blind spot and undressed her. They have requested a sentence of 35 years in prison, 20 years of electronic monitoring, and an order to disclose his personal information.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Labor-Management 'Performance Bonus Negotiations' Fail in Third Mediation... Union Says "General Strike to Proceed as Planned Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
The Busan High Court Criminal Division 2-1 (Presiding Judge Choi Hwan) is scheduled to deliver its verdict on Mr. A at 2:00 p.m. today.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.