Justice Network "Police and Human Rights Commission, Ensure Safe Wednesday Demonstrations"
The Justice Memory Solidarity (Jeonguiyeon) has urged the police and the National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK) to find a solution, claiming that the regular Wednesday demonstrations held in front of the Japanese Embassy are being disrupted by conservative groups.
On the morning of the 3rd, participants hold placards at a press conference urging the National Human Rights Commission of Korea for a prompt recommendation to ensure safe and peaceful Wednesday demonstrations, held in front of the National Human Rights Commission in Jung-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original imageOn the 3rd, Jeonguiyeon and four other civic groups held a press conference in front of the NHRCK in Jung-gu, Seoul, in the morning. After the press conference, Jeonguiyeon delivered a statement to the NHRCK.
They argued that conservative groups repeatedly file counter-protest notifications to disrupt the regular Wednesday demonstrations, but the police respond passively. Furthermore, the NHRCK stated that although it recommended urgent relief measures on January 17 last year for the police to actively protect the demonstration side of the Wednesday protests, there has been no significant action since then. Jeonguiyeon said, "The recommendations have not been properly followed for over a year and three months," and urged, "We call on the NHRCK to issue a swift final recommendation."
Baek Hwison, national representative of the Peace Butterfly Network, said, "Yesterday, another surviving victim of the Japanese military sexual slavery passed away," adding, "The state must protect its citizens so that the few remaining surviving victims are not hurt by hatred."
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Man in His 30s Dies After Assaulting Father and Falling from Yongin Apartment
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
Jeonguiyeon claims that the conservative groups' disruption of the Wednesday demonstrations began in May 2020. At that time, amid allegations of embezzlement of donations by independent lawmaker Yoon Mee-hyang, the conservative groups reportedly disrupted the Wednesday demonstrations by filing prior notifications for rallies in front of the Statue of Peace or by creating noise with speakers for about three years. In February, the court recognized only about 17 million won out of the 100 million won embezzlement amount claimed by the prosecution in the first trial and sentenced Yoon to a fine of 15 million won.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.