Investigation of Persons Involved in the 'Cheonggong Residence Intervention Theory' and CCTV Review Plans
Disposition of Yoo Ah-in Regarding 'Propofol Suspicion' Based on Forensic Results

[Asia Economy Reporter Seongpil Cho] On the 13th, the police announced that regarding the memorial altar set up by the bereaved families of the 'Itaewon Disaster' at Seoul Plaza, "If a request for administrative enforcement comes from the Seoul Metropolitan Government, we plan to actively support it."


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

A Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency official said at a regular press briefing that day in response to related inquiries, "The Seoul Metropolitan Government will mobilize staff and contractors to dismantle the tent," adding, "Our police will likely carry out duties such as preventing clashes, restraining and arresting offenders who obstruct official duties, and blocking protesters from entering Seoul Plaza." When asked about the possibility of clashes with the bereaved families, the official replied, "We can take preventive measures in advance, but unexpected clashes will likely be suppressed."


Earlier, the October 29 Itaewon Disaster Citizens' Countermeasures Committee and the bereaved families held a '100-Day National Memorial Rally' on the 4th, during which they marched from Noksapyeong Station to Sejong-daero and suddenly set up a memorial altar at Seoul Plaza. The Seoul Metropolitan Government sent two warning notices on the day and on the 6th, urging the voluntary removal of the altar. On the 7th of this month, the city requested the bereaved families to propose an alternative memorial space they preferred. After the families refused the request, the city announced its intention to remove the memorial altar at Seoul Plaza through administrative enforcement after 1 p.m. on the 15th.


Meanwhile, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency is promoting an organizational restructuring that integrates the Violent Crime Investigation Unit and the Narcotics Crime Investigation Unit while separating the Anti-Corruption and Public Crime Investigation Unit. On that day, a Seoul police official dismissed concerns that this restructuring might weaken narcotics crime investigation capabilities. The official explained, "With the investigation head promoted to the rank of Senior Superintendent, narcotics crime investigations can gain strength," adding, "This restructuring plan aims to strengthen anti-corruption crimes and create synergy by integrating narcotics and other units." However, the official added, "This is only a draft and can be changed at any time."


Regarding the allegations that the fortune teller 'Cheongong' interfered in the decision-making process of the presidential residence, the Seoul police official stated, "We are investigating the complainant's representatives and several related individuals." Previously, on the 3rd, the Presidential Office filed complaints against former spokesperson Bu and two journalists from media outlets (News Tomato and Hankook Ilbo) who first reported the allegations that fortune teller Cheongong was involved in the new presidential residence decision process. The Seoul police official said, "We are focusing on verifying the facts and investigating related parties," adding, "Some have been investigated through coordinated appearances, and investigations will continue."


Regarding the verification of CCTV footage from the presidential residence at the time, which has been raised as necessary mainly in political circles, the official said, "We are checking, but since the timing is from March last year, it is currently not easy." The official added, "Since CCTV is a public record, we believe there is a storage institution or mechanism, and we plan to verify it clearly."



Concerning the investigation into actor Yoo Ah-in's alleged habitual use of propofol, the official said, "Once the National Forensic Service's analysis results are fully available, we plan to request his appearance and conduct an investigation based on that." Earlier, on the 5th, the police collected urine and hair samples from Yoo immediately after his arrival from the United States and sent them to the National Forensic Service for analysis. The urine test showed a positive reaction for general marijuana, while the hair analysis results have not yet been released. A Seoul police official said, "The (hair analysis) results are expected in about 2 to 3 weeks," adding, "We will decide on detention based on the results."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing