Special Prosecutor for the Late Lee Yeram Re-summons Air Force Legal Office Chief Jeon Ik-su over 'Allegations of Inadequate Investigation'
Former Air Force Headquarters Legal Office Chief Jeon Ik-su, identified as responsible for the inadequate initial investigation into the death of Air Force sexual assault victim, the late Sergeant Lee Ye-ram.
[Photo by Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Daehyun] The special investigation team led by An Miyoung, investigating the death of the late Sergeant Lee Yeram, has summoned Jeon Iksu, the Air Force Headquarters Legal Office Chief (52, Brigadier General), who was identified as responsible for the inadequate initial investigation, once again.
At 2 p.m. on the 27th, Jeon appeared at the special prosecutor's office in Migeun-dong, Seoul, as a suspect. He stated, "I explained in detail during the first investigation, and I will provide a detailed explanation again today."
Jeon is accused of directing the military prosecution's inadequate initial investigation when the incident occurred in March last year, facing charges such as abuse of authority and neglect of duty. The family of Sergeant Lee claims that due to Jeon's poor investigation leadership, secondary harm occurred, which ultimately led Sergeant Lee to take extreme measures.
The special investigation team reportedly questioned Jeon during his first investigation on the 24th about the reports he received from the military prosecution at the time and the specific process of directing the investigation. Jeon denied the charges, stating that he acted according to the law and did not abuse his authority or neglect his duties.
Regarding allegations raised by some about the Air Force legal line's attempt to cover up the investigation, Jeon reportedly testified that "there were no problems during the investigation process." In particular, he is said to have used the fact that the recorded conversation, which was the basis for the suspicion that he ordered the sexual assault perpetrator to be investigated without detention, was fabricated as a defense.
Sergeant Lee, who belonged to the Air Force 20th Wing, reported being sexually assaulted by a senior non-commissioned officer in March last year, but tragically took her own life on May 21 of the same year while the military prosecution investigation was ongoing. The Ministry of National Defense, which investigated the case, filed criminal charges against 25 people and prosecuted 15 last October. However, the command, including the 20th Wing military police, military prosecutors responsible for the initial investigation, and Jeon who supervised and directed the military prosecution, were not prosecuted due to insufficient evidence, sparking controversy.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Labor-Management 'Performance Bonus Negotiations' Fail in Third Mediation... Union Says "General Strike to Proceed as Planned Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
The special investigation, launched in June, will enter its final phase after Jeon's investigation is completed. The investigation deadline set by the Special Prosecutor Act is until the 12th of next month. The special investigation team is expected to organize the investigation results so far and decide on the targets for prosecution and the final charges to be applied.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.