COVID-19 Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Meeting

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response at the Government Complex Sejong in Sejong City on the morning of the 16th. 2022.2.16 Photo by Yonhap News

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response at the Government Complex Sejong in Sejong City on the morning of the 16th. 2022.2.16 Photo by Yonhap News

View original image

[Asia Economy Sejong=Reporter Son Seonhee] Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum stated on the 16th, "Since the end of last month, the number of confirmed cases has been doubling every week due to the continued spread of Omicron," adding, "As of midnight today, the number of confirmed cases has exceeded 90,000." Regarding the highly anticipated adjustment plan for social distancing, he announced, "A final decision will be made on Friday."


On the same day, Prime Minister Kim chaired the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting at the Government Complex Sejong and said, "We need to make decisions by considering both the accumulated damage to the livelihood economy caused by strengthened quarantine measures lasting over two months and the still uncertain peak of the Omicron spread." He added, "What is clear is that we will make judgments centered on the goal of 'lowering the wave of Omicron to minimize economic and social damage.'"


Although confirmed cases have surged to the 90,000 range, the government believes that the number of severe and critical patients remains stable. Prime Minister Kim said, "Thanks to securing hospital beds in advance and continuously expanding home treatment, there seems to be no significant problem in medical response so far."


However, regarding recent confusion surrounding diagnostic testing and epidemiological investigations at quarantine sites, he acknowledged, "Because a major overhaul was implemented in a short period, it seems that some inconvenience was caused to the public," but added, "Things are gradually stabilizing."


Regarding COVID-19 self-test kits, Prime Minister Kim said, "Starting this week, sales outlets have been limited to pharmacies and convenience stores with high accessibility, and the quantity and price have been regulated to five kits per person at 6,000 won each to improve distribution," emphasizing, "There is no need to be overly anxious or fearful."


Amid shortages of self-test kits in some regions, Prime Minister Kim stressed, "There is sufficient supply of test kits for February and March," and firmly stated, "There is no need to stockpile large quantities of test kits that are not immediately necessary." In this regard, the government plans to provide free test kits twice a week starting next week to daycare centers, kindergartens, elementary schools, and elderly welfare facilities.



He further explained, "Some parents with children seem to misunderstand that children must test negative with the kits distributed by the government to attend daycare or school," clarifying, "This measure is intended to reduce the burden of frequent testing as much as possible."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing