Yoon "Kim Gun-hee Needs Rest Due to Mental and Physical Fatigue"
Choo Mi-ae "Shameless, Unqualified Candidate's Dishonest and Insincere Responses"

Former Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae. [Image source=Yonhap News]

Former Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Heo Midam] On the 5th, former Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae criticized Yoon Seok-yeol, the People Power Party's presidential candidate, for saying at a press conference that his wife, Kim Gun-hee, "has been mentally and physically exhausted after undergoing intensive investigations for two years following the Cho Kuk incident," calling it "a false statement about a spouse."


Former Minister Choo wrote on her Facebook that day, "We must not deceive the public repeatedly. The investigation into Ms. Kim's crimes was only officially initiated under the investigation directive issued by the Minister of Justice on October 19, 2020," she said.


She pointed out, "If there had been no such directive, the investigation would not have started, and the statute of limitations would have passed, covering up the crime. However, even after the directive, the leadership of the Central District Prosecutors' Office was shaken, and no investigation was conducted at all."


She continued, "Later, the minister filed a disciplinary request regarding the privatization and abuse of prosecutorial power, but even this was met with collective opposition from the prosecution organization and lawsuits from Prosecutor General Yoon. It was only in October 2021 that the Administrative Court recognized the disciplinary action as lawful due to serious misconduct that undermined the fairness and legality of prosecutorial affairs," she added.


Kim Geon-hee, wife of Yoon Seok-yeol, the People Power Party's presidential candidate and CEO of Kobana Contents, is delivering a statement regarding allegations of false credentials on the afternoon of the 26th of last month at the party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul. <br>[Image source=Yonhap News]

Kim Geon-hee, wife of Yoon Seok-yeol, the People Power Party's presidential candidate and CEO of Kobana Contents, is delivering a statement regarding allegations of false credentials on the afternoon of the 26th of last month at the party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul.
[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Former Minister Choo also said, "Regarding the allegations of sponsorship by Kobana Contents, the prosecution never summoned suspect Ms. Kim for questioning even once and dismissed some charges by splitting them up," adding, "Despite the suspicion of comprehensive bribery, splitting up the earlier incidents to give prior leniency is a legal tactic similar to the '99,000 won prosecutor's drinking entertainment split dismissal set.' And she is still not under investigation." The prosecution had dismissed some allegations of improper sponsorship related to Kobana Contents, an exhibition planning company operated by Ms. Kim, last month.


Furthermore, she criticized, "In the Deutsche Motors stock manipulation case, candidate Yoon only disclosed Ms. Kim's bank account statements from before the stock manipulation period during the party primary debate, but did not reveal the actual period of stock manipulation. Although all accomplices have been indicted and detained, she has never been summoned for questioning."


Finally, she said, "Candidate Yoon's confident claim that 'there will be no punishment' shows his strong trust in pro-Yoon prosecutors," criticizing, "Even after the investigation directive, they have shaken the command authority by saying 'we are not subordinates of the minister,' mobilized the organization to oppose the disciplinary request, filed lawsuits, and pretended to be victims of political persecution, thereby disrupting the rule of law against himself and disturbing the application of fairness and common sense." She concluded by calling it "the shameless and insincere false response of an unqualified candidate."


Yoon Seok-yeol, the presidential candidate of the People Power Party, is holding a press conference to announce the dissolution of the election campaign committee and his position at the party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul, on the morning of the 5th. <br>[Image source=Yonhap News]

Yoon Seok-yeol, the presidential candidate of the People Power Party, is holding a press conference to announce the dissolution of the election campaign committee and his position at the party headquarters in Yeouido, Seoul, on the morning of the 5th.
[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Earlier that day, candidate Yoon held a press conference at the People Power Party Central Party Office in Yeongdeungpo, Seoul, announcing a reform plan for the election campaign committee. He dissolved the existing campaign committee and established a new election campaign headquarters as a replacement.


He emphasized, "Instead of distributing positions to lawmakers, we will form a thoroughly practical election campaign headquarters," adding, "Capable young practitioners will lead the campaign committee."


When asked about plans for Ms. Kim's involvement, he replied, "Since the Cho Kuk incident two years ago, my wife and I have undergone intensive investigations for about two years. As a result, she is mentally and physically exhausted and, in some respects, is in a condition that requires recuperation."



He continued, "From my perspective, I don't think there will be any significant criminal punishment for her, so I told her not to worry. However, as a woman, she has endured considerable stress from continuously undergoing such investigations. Once she recovers well, I think she will quietly focus on what she needs to do during the election campaign, rather than participating in political activities, perhaps engaging in volunteer work or similar activities."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing