Due to the 'Hong Kong Security Law'... 46% of Hong Kong Foreign Journalists "Considering Leaving"
84% of Hong Kong Foreign Journalists Say "Reporting Environment Has Worsened"
China: "If Laws Are Followed, Legal Rights Are Fully Guaranteed"
In June, Apple Daily ceased publication due to pressure from the Hong Kong government.
[Photo by Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Yoon Seul-gi] A survey revealed that nearly half of foreign correspondents working in Hong Kong are considering leaving the city following the implementation of the Hong Kong National Security Law (Hong Kong Security Law).
The Hong Kong Foreign Correspondents' Club (HKFCC) conducted a survey among its members on the 5th regarding the Hong Kong Security Law, with 46% of respondents stating that they have "made plans to leave or are considering leaving Hong Kong" due to the regression of press freedom after the law's enforcement.
Enforced since June 30 last year, the Hong Kong Security Law criminalizes four offenses?secession, subversion of state power, terrorist activities, and collusion with foreign forces?with penalties up to life imprisonment. Expressing political messages can be subject to crackdown under this law.
HKFCC further reported that 56% of respondents have been avoiding reporting on sensitive topics to some extent or practicing self-censorship since the law's implementation. Additionally, 84% said the reporting environment has deteriorated, and 86% noted that sources avoid mentioning or refuse to be quoted on sensitive subjects.
Moreover, 48% pointed out that they cannot determine whether certain photos or videos violate the Hong Kong Security Law, and 91% expressed "great concern" over the Hong Kong government's proposed "fake news law."
The survey was conducted from August to October, with 99 out of 396 journalist members who received the questionnaire participating.
Keith Richburg, president of the Hong Kong Foreign Correspondents' Club, told Hong Kong Free Press (HKFP), "This survey was conducted amid growing concerns about press freedom in Hong Kong," adding, "We plan to conduct such surveys regularly in the future to gauge the sentiment among members and publish the results."
In response, the Chinese government claimed that the number of foreign media staff entering Hong Kong on work visas increased by more than 18% within a year. Wang Wenbin, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said at a regular briefing that "foreign media and journalists in Hong Kong who comply with the law and report according to the law can fully enjoy their legitimate rights."
He added that as of April this year, there are 628 foreign employees of foreign media outlets in Hong Kong on work visas, an increase of 98 people (18.5%) compared to the same period last year.
He further emphasized, "Since the enactment and implementation of the Hong Kong Security Law, the people of Hong Kong have been guaranteed more rights and freedoms," and "Hong Kong citizens and international investors have experienced a new Hong Kong and gained greater confidence in Hong Kong's future development."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- [Breaking] Two Days Before Strike... Central Labor Relations Commission Chair Park Soogeun Says "Differences Narrowing... Possibility of Agreement"
- Is This the Peak? As Others Hesitate..."The Answer Is Clear for Surviving the KOSPI 10,000 Era"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
Meanwhile, Hong Kong, an international financial hub, has served as the Asian headquarters for international media outlets under the "one country, two systems" framework for decades. However, immediately after the implementation of the Hong Kong Security Law last year, the influential U.S. daily The New York Times (NYT) announced it would relocate part of its Hong Kong office to Seoul due to restrictions on reporting activities in Hong Kong. In June this year, Hong Kong's only pro-democracy daily newspaper, Apple Daily, was shut down under pressure from authorities.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.