Yoon Seok-yeol, the preliminary presidential candidate of the People Power Party. [Photo by Yonhap News]

Yoon Seok-yeol, the preliminary presidential candidate of the People Power Party. [Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Park Hyun-joo] Amid the political turmoil caused by the 'accusation briefing' allegations, Yoon Seok-yeol, the presidential pre-candidate of the People Power Party, stated that he is "completely unaware and unrelated" to the allegations.


On the 7th, Yoon Hee-seok, spokesperson for Yoon's campaign, said in interviews with TBS Traffic Broadcasting's 'Shin Jang-sik's Shin Jang Open' and YTN Radio's 'Lee Dong-hyung's News Face-off,' "Given the Channel A incident, which was revealed to be false, and the tremendous damage we suffered due to collusion between the press and prosecution, we cannot help but have a reasonable suspicion that the ruling party may have an intention."


Yoon's spokesperson pointed out, "The only evidence that Yoon is involved is that 'Prosecutor Son Jun-sung gave something to People Power Party lawmaker Kim Woong' at a time when the candidate was serving as Prosecutor General."


He then refuted the allegations by discussing the closeness between Yoon, Prosecutor Son, and lawmaker Kim. He said, "On January 8 last year, there was the so-called 'first Cho Kuk prosecution massacre personnel reshuffle,' which completely cleared out prosecutors around Yoon. Yoon had wanted the predecessor who was in the position held by Prosecutor Son to be reinstated, but eventually, the reshuffle was made, and Prosecutor Son came."


He continued, "The delivery of the accusation letter happened on April 3, less than three months after the reshuffle. Would Yoon have asked someone who had been at the Supreme Prosecutors' Office for less than three months, bypassing all the prosecutors close to him, to do such a secretive task? Is that common sense? He was not a prosecutor close enough to be entrusted with secret tasks. Also, would he have had a lawmaker like Kim, who was not very close, go through several steps to file a complaint to the party?"



Meanwhile, lawmaker Kim is scheduled to hold a press conference at the National Assembly at 9:30 a.m. on the 8th to officially state his position regarding the allegations that he received the accusation letter concerning ruling party figures.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing