COVID-19 Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Meeting

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is speaking at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCHQ) meeting on COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on August 31, 2021. Photo by Yonhap News.

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is speaking at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCHQ) meeting on COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on August 31, 2021. Photo by Yonhap News.

View original image

[Sejong=Asia Economy Reporter Son Seon-hee] Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum, regarding the health and medical industry labor union's announcement of a general strike scheduled for the 2nd of next month, said on the 31st, "The public's concerns are growing significantly," and "I earnestly request the union side to work together with the government to find solutions by putting our heads together."


On the morning of the same day, Prime Minister Kim chaired the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting for COVID-19 at the Government Seoul Office and said, "The government also sympathizes with the union's claim that expanding investment in public healthcare and increasing personnel to respond to infectious disease crises are necessary." However, he appealed to the realistic difficulties, saying, "Considering the financial situation and the time required for institutional improvements, some issues cannot be resolved in a short period."


Prime Minister Kim stated, "Through repeated government-labor consultations, some issues such as improving working conditions have seen narrowed differences, but matters involving large-scale finances or requiring meticulous mid- to long-term review still have differing positions," and added, "The government is doing its best to participate in consultations and will not let go of the thread of dialogue until the very end."


He also emphasized repeatedly, "No one can deny the dedication and sacrifice shown by our medical staff so far," and "Now, when all citizens are engaged in the difficult fight against COVID-19, frontline medical sites must never come to a halt."


Assuming the strike becomes a reality, Prime Minister Kim said, "The government is thoroughly preparing to ensure there is no disruption in medical response at the field level," and urged, "The Ministry of Health and Welfare and local governments must make every effort to establish emergency medical measures so that the public's right to health is protected under any circumstances."


Meanwhile, the government plans to discuss and finalize its quarantine strategy for about a month, including the Chuseok holiday, on the 3rd of next month. Prime Minister Kim said, "With the momentum of the fourth wave still strong, the holiday period involving a lot of movement, and the need to maximize the speed of vaccination, the government is facing significant challenges," and added, "The Central Accident Response Headquarters should actively reflect the opinions of experts, related ministries, as well as the general public, small business owners, self-employed individuals, and frontline local governments in the quarantine measures."



In particular, he requested, "Since Chuseok is approaching, please clearly present quarantine standards for specific situations such as grave cleaning, ancestral rites, hometown visits, meetings with family and relatives, and visits to nursing facilities, so that the public can have a holiday without confusion."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing