US and International Community "Evacuation from Afghanistan Possible After Withdrawal Deadline, in Consultation with Taliban"
Joint Statement by the US and About 100 Countries... Excluding China and Russia
White House Emphasizes "August 31 Is Not a Cliff"
[Asia Economy Reporter Hyunwoo Lee] The United States, the European Union (EU), NATO member countries, and 100 countries worldwide have issued a joint statement affirming that they will guarantee civilian evacuations even after the deadline for withdrawal from Afghanistan has passed, and that they have completed consultations with the Taliban.
On the 29th (local time), the U.S. Department of State, through a joint statement with 100 countries, emphasized, "We are committed to ensuring that our citizens, residents, staff, Afghans who have cooperated with us, and those at risk can continue to move freely to destinations outside Afghanistan," and added, "We have received assurances from the Taliban that all foreign nationals and Afghans authorized to move by us will be allowed to move safely and orderly out of Afghanistan."
"We will continue to issue travel documents to these Afghans even after the withdrawal deadline," the statement said, "We have a clear expectation that they can move to our side, and the Taliban has also promised this." The statement was joined by the United States, the European Union (EU), NATO member countries, as well as 100 countries including South Korea and Japan. China and Russia reportedly did not participate.
Jake Sullivan, U.S. National Security Advisor at the White House, also emphasized in an interview with CNN on the same day, "The August 31 withdrawal deadline is by no means a cliff," and said, "We have promised the Taliban that even after the withdrawal deadline, U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and Afghans guaranteed passage to the U.S. will be able to evacuate safely."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- Iranian Military Spokesperson: "Ceasefire Was an Opportunity to Strengthen Forces... Ready to Respond to War"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
However, following the suicide bombing at Kabul Airport?the center of the evacuation operation?on the 26th, the risk of additional terrorist attacks continues, threatening the safety of civilian evacuations. Earlier that day, the U.S. Department of Defense announced that it had conducted a drone strike to destroy an IS-K vehicle attempting a terrorist attack to prevent further attacks by the Islamic State (IS) affiliate in Afghanistan, IS Khorasan (IS-K).
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.