Taliban: "28 Members Killed in Kabul Terror Attack... No Reason to Extend US Withdrawal Deadline"
"Emphasizing 'We Sacrificed More Than the US Military'"
On Alert for International Responses Including US Retaliatory Statement Announcement
[Asia Economy Reporter Hyunwoo Lee] The Taliban, an armed faction in Afghanistan, claimed that at least 28 of its members were killed in the suicide bombing at Kabul Airport, which the international terrorist organization Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for, asserting that they suffered greater losses than the U.S. military. The Taliban emphasized that there is no justification for extending the withdrawal deadline of U.S. and allied forces despite this attack, and they are closely monitoring the international community's future response.
On the 27th (local time), major foreign media cited a senior Taliban official who requested anonymity, stating, "At least 28 Taliban members died in the attack on the outskirts of Kabul Airport," and added, "We suffered more casualties than the U.S. military." Earlier, the U.S. Department of Defense reported that 13 U.S. soldiers were killed and 18 wounded in the attack.
Previously, The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) quoted a Kabul health official reporting that the attack resulted in 90 deaths and over 140 injuries locally in Afghanistan. Excluding Taliban fatalities, it is estimated that more than 60 civilians died among the local Afghan casualties.
The Taliban reiterated that they have no connection to IS, which claimed responsibility for the attack, and are closely watching the international community's response. A Taliban official stated, "There is no reason to extend the foreign troop withdrawal deadline set for August 31," emphasizing that the U.S. and allied forces must adhere to the withdrawal schedule.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Labor-Management 'Performance Bonus Negotiations' Fail in Third Mediation... Union Says "General Strike to Proceed as Planned Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Earlier, U.S. President Joe Biden, in a national address immediately following the attack, said, "This incident was carried out under the direction of IS-K, the Afghan affiliate of IS," strongly condemning the attack and stating, "We will track them down to the end and make them pay." He added, "We will drive IS out of Afghanistan, rescue Americans, and fulfill our mission."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.