'Coupang Fire Mukbang' Lee Jae-myung's Side: "Governor at the Scene Immediately After Fire?.. Excessive Claim and Speculation"
Gyeonggi Province Governor Lee Jae-myung has issued an official statement regarding the suspicion that he filmed a YouTube video with Mr. Hwang Kyo-ik on the day of the fire at the Coupang logistics center in Icheon, Gyeonggi, on June 17.
[Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Park Hyun-joo] Gyeonggi Province Governor Lee Jae-myung clarified the controversy over his filming of a video for the YouTube channel 'Hwang Gyo-ik TV' during the Coupang logistics center fire in Icheon, Gyeonggi Province last June, stating that "Governor Lee faithfully fulfilled his role as the person responsible for the disaster."
On the 20th, the province explained, "Criticizing that the governor must be present at the scene immediately after the fire broke out is an excessive claim and speculation," and added, "We hope that the tragic fire accident will never again be used as a political attack."
This controversy arose earlier that day through some media reports. It was reported that on the afternoon of June 17, when the Coupang logistics center fire occurred, Governor Lee filmed a YouTube video with Mr. Hwang Gyo-ik, who was the nominee for president of the Gyeonggi Tourism Organization, around the streets and restaurants in Changdong, Masanhappo-gu, Changwon City, Gyeongnam Province.
The political circles unanimously criticized Governor Lee's response to the fire. Bae Jae-jung, spokesperson for former Democratic Party leader and presidential candidate Lee Nak-yeon’s camp, said in a statement on the 19th, "The public is shocked by media reports that Governor Lee, the person in charge of disaster and accident management in Gyeonggi Province, insisted on filming a YouTube video with Mr. Hwang on the day of the fire incident," and urged, "Governor Lee should sincerely explain his actions on the day of the Icheon Coupang fire."
Ha Tae-kyung, a member of the People Power Party who declared his presidential candidacy, also posted on his Facebook on the 20th, saying, "I hope the truth about the related suspicions will be fully revealed and that a public apology will be made to the families of the Coupang fire victims and the firefighters."
Regarding this, Gyeonggi Province stated, "Governor Lee moved to Changwon City, Gyeongnam Province on June 16, the day before the fire, to sign a business agreement with Gyeongnam Province," and explained, "On the morning of the 17th, the day of the fire, Governor Lee received a report on the 'Level 1 response lift' at the Gyeongnam site and then attended the agreement ceremony with Gyeongnam at around 11 a.m."
It continued, "Afterwards, Governor Lee dispatched the Administrative Deputy Governor to the fire site to check the fire suppression situation," and added, "While carrying out pre-scheduled appointments such as meeting with the Gyeongnam Superintendent of Education, visiting the Democratic Party’s Gyeongnam Provincial Party office, and filming videos, he continuously received real-time reports on the fire site situation and meticulously managed administrative support measures."
The province said, "After completing the originally scheduled events, Governor Lee judged that on-site command was necessary, canceled all remaining official and unofficial schedules including the agreement with Goseong County, and rushed to the fire site on the evening of the 17th," adding, "At the time of the fire, Governor Lee canceled all remaining visits to Gyeongnam and returned."
Additionally, the province disclosed Gyeonggi Province’s response measures by time following the fire occurrence at 5:36 a.m. According to the timeline: △ 5:56 a.m. Level 2 response issued △ 6:14 a.m. Level 1 response issued △ 8:19 a.m. initial extinguishing and Level 1 response lifted △ 12:05 p.m. Level 1 response issued △ 12:15 p.m. Level 2 response issued △ 1:07 p.m. Gyeonggi Fire Headquarters chief arrived on site △ 2:59 p.m. Gyeonggi Administrative Deputy Governor arrived on site △ 4:09 p.m. building safety inspection conducted △ 7:06 p.m. disaster broadcast across Icheon City, among other measures.
Hot Picks Today
"Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- "Striking Will Lead to Regret": Hyundai-Kia Employees Speak Out... Uneasy Stares Toward Samsung Union
- Man in His 40s Who Kept Girlfriend's Body for a Year After Murder Sentenced to 30 Years in Prison Again on Appeal
- Despite Captivating the Nation for Over a Month... "Timmy" the Whale Ultimately Found Dead
- "If You Booked This Month, You Almost Lost Out... Why You Should Wait Until 'This Day' Before Paying for Flight Tickets"
Governor Lee arrived at the site at 1:32 a.m. the following day, the 18th.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.