US to Begin Nationwide Booster Shots for All Adults Starting Next Month
Second Dose Followed by Vaccination After 8 Months
Biden: "Expanding Supply to Other Countries"
[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] The United States will begin administering COVID-19 vaccine booster shots to the entire population starting next month.
Rochelle Walensky, Director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Janet Woodcock, Acting Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), issued a joint statement on the 18th (local time), announcing that booster shots will be offered starting September 20.
U.S. health authorities revealed that data shows the vaccine's preventive effectiveness decreases over time, and combined with the spread of the Delta variant, protection against mild to moderate illness weakens.
In their statement, they said, "The current protection against severe illness, hospitalization, and death may decrease in the coming months, especially for high-risk groups or those vaccinated early," and concluded that "booster shots are necessary to maximize and extend the durability of vaccine protection."
The eligible recipients are those who received their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines at least eight months ago. Healthcare workers, nursing home residents, and the elderly who were vaccinated when the campaign began in December last year are expected to be the first to receive booster shots.
Health authorities also believe that those who received the Janssen vaccine will need booster shots, but since data is still under review, specific vaccination plans will be announced later.
The United States has sufficient vaccine supplies for nationwide booster shot administration. Jeff Zients, White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator, said on the same day, "Booster shots will also be provided free of charge," adding, "There is enough vaccine supply to provide doses to all Americans."
Although the World Health Organization (WHO) opposes booster shot administration due to supply imbalances, more countries are announcing booster shot plans. The WHO criticized booster shots by saying, "It is like giving life jackets to those who already have them while leaving those without any to drown."
President Joe Biden, seemingly aware of such criticism, stated, "I do not agree with some world leaders who say the U.S. should not administer a third dose (booster shot) until other countries have received their first doses."
He also announced plans to expand vaccine supply to other countries. The U.S. had previously pledged to donate over 600 million doses globally and now plans to increase that amount.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "Reporters Who First Revealed Jo Jinwoong's Juvenile Offense History Cleared of Juvenile Act Violation"
- Instead of a National Assembly Profile, Now a 'Carpenter'... Ryu Hojung Says "I Couldn't Do a Body Profile Shoot Twice"
President Biden emphasized the U.S.'s efforts to donate COVID-19 vaccines abroad, saying, "We can take care of America while also helping the world."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.