Ignoring COVID-19 '4th Wave' Prevention Rules
COVID-19 Spread from Entertainment Bars Where People Drink and Socialize
Civilians Say "Isn't This Really Too Much?", "Please Enforce Strict Punishments"

A street densely packed with entertainment bars in the city center. The photo is unrelated to specific expressions in the article. [Image source=Yonhap News]

A street densely packed with entertainment bars in the city center. The photo is unrelated to specific expressions in the article. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon] "This is really unacceptable." , "What kind of entertainment are you talking about in this situation?"


As the fourth wave of COVID-19 spreads nationwide, awareness of quarantine rules is increasing, but so-called 'expedition entertainment,' where people in their 20s and 30s avoid social distancing regulations in the metropolitan area by heading to provincial areas, is rampant, causing anxiety among citizens.


It was reported that an average of 14.86 confirmed cases per day occurred in the Jeju area over the past week. According to Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, a total of 204 confirmed cases were reported in Jeju from July 1 to 16 at midnight. Of the 201 confirmed cases in July, 64.2% (129 people) were Jeju residents or residents within the province, and 35.8% (72 people) were residents from other regions such as the metropolitan area.


Among them, 62 confirmed cases were related to entertainment bars, accounting for 30.8% of the confirmed cases in July. Jeju Province announced that 62 confirmed cases occurred in July, including 17 related to entertainment bars in Seogwipo City, 26 related to Entertainment Bar 2 in Jeju City, 17 related to Entertainment Bar 3 in Jeju City, and 2 confirmed cases from proactive testing of entertainment facility workers.


By age group, those in their 30s accounted for the largest proportion at 25.9% (52 people), followed by those in their 20s at 24.9% (50 people). Next were those in their 40s at 13.9% (28 people), teenagers at 10.9% (22 people), those in their 50s at 10.4% (21 people), those aged 60 and above at 9.5% (19 people), and children under 9 at 4.5% (9 people).


In summary, cluster infections originating from entertainment bars, combined with the wide activity range of people in their 20s and 30s, can be said to be the most significant characteristic of the confirmed case statistics in Jeju in July. This is why citizens are appealing to people in their 20s and 30s to stop visiting entertainment bars.


The situation is similar in other regions. On the 13th, among 38 new confirmed cases in Daegu, 13 were related to entertainment bars. In Busan, 16 out of 65 new confirmed cases were related to entertainment establishments. Since the first confirmed case related to entertainment establishments appeared on the 29th of last month, 146 people have been confirmed positive across 21 entertainment establishments in Busan.


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Previously, the cluster infections originating from Itaewon clubs in Seoul in May last year and from hunting pubs in Gwangjin-gu, Seoul in February were also representative cases of COVID-19 spreading mainly among people in their 20s and 30s.


Those trying to enjoy entertainment during the fourth wave of COVID-19 recruit expedition entertainment members through some online communities and open chat rooms that allow anonymous chatting to avoid criticism from citizens.


Citizens responded with disbelief and criticism. Mr. Kim, a company employee in his 40s, said, "I think they are only thinking about themselves," and added, "Isn't their entertainment causing severe harm to others? This is openly ignoring quarantine rules." He continued, "I always feel uneasy because of people who go to entertainment bars whenever COVID spreads," and criticized, "I hope the punishments become stricter."


Mr. Choi, an office worker in his 30s, said, "Everyone knows by now how much COVID spreads through entertainment," and pointed out, "Whenever COVID spreads, there is always drinking and such, and it's really tiresome." He expressed frustration, saying, "Please follow the quarantine rules."


[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Meanwhile, starting as early as the 19th, the restriction on private gatherings to a maximum of 4 people will be expanded to most regions nationwide. The government also indicated the possibility of implementing a 'ban on gatherings of 3 or more people after 6 p.m.' in non-metropolitan areas depending on the trend of the spread.


Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum said at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting on the 16th, "I request local governments to discuss unifying the restriction on private gatherings in non-metropolitan areas to 4 people."


Seven cities and provinces including Gwangju, Ulsan, Gangwon, Jeonbuk, Jeonnam, Gyeongnam, and Jeju agreed to this government policy. In these areas, the allowed number of people for gatherings will be reduced to 4 starting from the 19th. Daejeon, Sejong, Chungbuk, and Busan (after 6 p.m.) have already limited gatherings to 4 people. Daegu, Gyeongbuk, and Chungnam are reviewing the matter. Prime Minister Kim emphasized, "If the number of confirmed cases continues to rise, we will have no choice but to further restrict the number of people gathering after 6 p.m. in non-metropolitan areas as well."


Additionally, the government stated that the social distancing level after the metropolitan area's Level 4 distancing ends on the 25th must be determined by observing the trend of patient occurrences until next week.



Son Young-rae, head of the Social Strategy Division at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, said at a briefing on the 15th, "Since there is a time lag before the effects of Level 4 distancing appear, it is difficult to judge based on this week's situation alone, so we need to observe next week's situation," and added, "Depending on whether the spread slows down or continues to increase, the response system will change, so we will evaluate and discuss the epidemic trend until next week."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing