Charged with Assaulting 2-Month-Old First Daughter
Biological Daughter Separated from Parents, Living in Child Protection Facility

On the morning of the 12th, at Deokjin Police Station in Deokjin-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do, parents who fatally beat their two-week-old son were silently being transferred to a transport vehicle. / Photo by Yonhap News

On the morning of the 12th, at Deokjin Police Station in Deokjin-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do, parents who fatally beat their two-week-old son were silently being transferred to a transport vehicle. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Juhyung] A brutal father in his 20s who was arrested on charges of beating his two-week-old son to death was also found to have indiscriminately assaulted his two-month-old first daughter. Notably, at the time he was abusing his son, he was already on trial for assaulting his daughter, showing not remorse but a heartless parental attitude, which has further fueled public outrage.


According to the Jeonbuk Provincial Police Agency on the 17th, A (24), who was arrested on the 12th on charges of child abuse resulting in death, was previously indicted on February 8 last year for assaulting his then two-month-old first daughter.


During the police investigation, A stated the reason for the assault was that "(the daughter) was crying loudly and I couldn't sleep."


It was also revealed that despite the assault causing bleeding from the two-month-old baby's nose, A did not take necessary measures such as taking her to the hospital. After the incident, the first daughter was separated from her parents and sent to a child protection agency for care.


Mr. A was on trial after being indicted last February for assaulting his first daughter, who was two months old. / Photo by MBN Broadcast Capture

Mr. A was on trial after being indicted last February for assaulting his first daughter, who was two months old. / Photo by MBN Broadcast Capture

View original image


Meanwhile, A and his wife B (22) were arrested on the 9th on charges of beating their second son to death.


At the time, the couple reported to 119 (emergency services) that their son lost consciousness after falling from the bed to the floor. When paramedics arrived, the child was already deceased. It was reported that A pretended to perform CPR on the child when the paramedics arrived.


Following the investigation, police found bruises on the deceased baby's face and arrested the couple at the scene. Police confirmed that the baby, born on the 27th of last month, had been continuously abused since about ten days after birth.


Initially, the couple denied all charges but later admitted, "The child cried frequently and vomited formula, so we hit him," while partially denying the severity of the assault leading to death.


The police applied for arrest warrants for the couple. On the 12th, the Gunsan branch of Jeonju District Court issued the warrants, citing "risk of flight."


Child Abuse / Photo by Yonhap News

Child Abuse / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Given the circumstances, public criticism against the couple is pouring in. Committing another child abuse crime while already on trial for abusing their daughter is seen as highly malicious.


C, a worker in his 20s, said, "I was already distressed by the recent surge in child abuse cases, but this is truly horrific," adding, "A two-week-old baby is practically a newborn; how could someone beat a baby to death?"


Another worker, D (31), said, "I can't understand how they committed another crime while on trial for child abuse," and urged, "They are unfit to be parents and should be severely punished."


Some have called for more precise monitoring measures for parents who commit child abuse crimes. E, a worker in his 30s, said, "There should be closer surveillance of parents showing signs of child abuse and quicker separation of the children," adding, "Many abused children might still be suffering without protection under the law."



Meanwhile, the Jeonbuk Police Agency's Women and Youth Investigation Division has assigned all nine members to this case and plans to conduct further investigations into the severity, duration, and methods of the abuse.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing