Man Arrested for False Bomb Threat at ASEM Tower
Police Dispatched to SRT Suseo Station Bomb Threat Report

Court Sentences 2 Years Long-Term, 1 Year 6 Months Short-Term for False Reports

Hong Mo, who was arrested for falsely reporting that an explosive device had been installed at ASEM Tower in Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, is attending the substantive hearing for the arrest warrant related to obstruction of official duties at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul, on the 4th. <br>[Photo by Yonhap News]

Hong Mo, who was arrested for falsely reporting that an explosive device had been installed at ASEM Tower in Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, is attending the substantive hearing for the arrest warrant related to obstruction of official duties at the Seoul Central District Court in Seocho-gu, Seoul, on the 4th.
[Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] Crimes involving false reports of explosives being planted in buildings, causing commotion, are occurring repeatedly.


A man falsely reported that explosives were planted at ASEM Tower in Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul. According to the court on the 6th, Judge Kim Dong-hyun, head of the warrant division at the Seoul Central District Court, held a pre-arrest detention hearing (warrant substantive examination) on the 4th for Hong, who is suspected of obstruction of official duties by deception, and issued an arrest warrant. Judge Kim explained the reason for issuing the warrant, stating, "The matter is serious and there is a risk of flight."


Hong is accused of making a false report on the 10th of last month, claiming that explosives were planted at ASEM Tower. He called 112 and said, "I have planted explosives at ASEM Tower," and "If money is not deposited by Monday, I will detonate the bomb."


As a result of this report, more than 130 officials including police and firefighters conducted a search for over three hours, but no explosives were found. During this time, about 4,000 office workers and others in the building were urgently evacuated, causing a commotion.


The Gangnam Police Station in Seoul tracked the bank account mentioned by Hong and arrested him near his residence on the 1st.


On the 1st, a false report was made claiming explosives were planted at SRT Suseo Station in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, causing police to respond in a commotion.


An unidentified man called the Suseo Station customer center and said, "I have planted explosives at Suseo Station," and a report was immediately filed with the police. The police dispatched a special task force and search dogs to the scene and conducted a search for over two hours, but no explosives were found. The police are pursuing the man who made the false report.


People who have been punished for making false reports continue to appear. In July of this year, the Jeonju District Court Criminal Division 5 (Presiding Judge Kim Young-hee) sentenced a 16-year-old boy, A, who was indicted on charges of obstruction of official duties by deception, to 2 years in prison with a minimum of 1 year and 6 months.


Boy A was tried for making a false report in March that explosives were planted in a commercial area of Jeonju Hanok Village. At that time, the police and the military Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team were deployed and conducted a three-hour search of the commercial area and surroundings of Hanok Village. Tourists and nearby residents were evacuated from the scene, but no explosives were found. Investigation revealed that Boy A made false reports to 112 and 119 five times.



In September of last year, a man in his 40s who falsely claimed that explosives were planted at Lotte World Tower in Songpa-gu, Seoul, was tried and sentenced to 4 months in prison with a 2-year probation.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing