Government: "Decisions on Social Distancing Level Adjustments and Additional Quarantine Measures to Be Made on Sunday" (Update)
Government to Consult Experts and Local Governments Until Weekend on Raising Social Distancing
Attention on Whether to Raise Level 2 Beyond Seoul Metropolitan Area to Nationwide
On the 27th, when the daily confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) exceeded 500 for two consecutive days, signaling the beginning of a domestic resurgence, citizens are undergoing diagnostic tests at a temporary screening clinic set up at Dongjak District Office in Seoul. Photo by Hyunmin Kim kimhyun81@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Choi Dae-yeol] To curb the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), the government has decided to finalize additional measures, including adjustments to social distancing levels, by the 29th after discussions with various sectors. However, rather than enforcing mandatory measures through social distancing, the government emphasized the importance of individuals voluntarily reducing gatherings and contacts, and requested public cooperation.
Son Young-rae, head of the Strategic Planning Division at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters of the Ministry of Health and Welfare, said at a briefing on the 27th, "We discussed today in the meeting how to adjust the social distancing levels in the metropolitan area and nationwide, whether there is a need for further strengthening, and the detailed plans." He added, "We decided to gather more opinions from experts in various fields, the Living Quarantine Committee, and local governments before making a decision." He further stated, "We are considering making the final decision at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting on Sunday (29th), and will continue to collect opinions today and tomorrow."
Previously, the metropolitan area was raised to social distancing level 2, and parts of Honam, Gyeongnam, and Gangwon regions were raised to level 1.5 in response. The average daily confirmed cases over the past week were about 382, meeting the criteria for raising to level 2, but since the infection spread and situations differ by region, the government is also deliberating carefully.
On the 27th, as the spread of COVID-19 continues, a notice about the change in late-night train operation times during Seoul's Ten Million Citizens Emergency Pause Period is posted at Gyeongbokgung Station on Seoul Subway Line 3. Photo by Moon Honam munonam@
View original imageThe government stated that since these social distancing measures restrict the daily lives of the majority of the public and cause damage to frontline small business owners and self-employed individuals, it is important not only to focus on visible level adjustments but also to participate in changing the lifestyles of individuals and social members.
Son said, "The effect of social distancing levels depends more than half on the voluntary cooperation and participation of the public rather than government-enforced regulations," adding, "Level upgrades ultimately aim to induce social change, assuming that everyone has a sense of crisis and reduces risky behaviors, activities, and contacts."
He emphasized, "On the other hand, if these points are ignored and levels are urgently raised without considering public consensus, even if level 3 measures are implemented, if the public does not participate, the meaning and effect of raising the levels will be lost."
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun is delivering opening remarks at the 'Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters Meeting for COVID-19 Response' held on the 27th at the Government Seoul Office in Jongno-gu, Seoul. Photo by Jang Jin-hyung aymsdream@
View original imageAccording to the government, about 910,000 facilities in the metropolitan area suffer damages such as restricted business hours due to social distancing level 2 measures. Nationwide, this number reaches 2.03 million. This means a significant number of stores around us are struggling.
With new confirmed cases exceeding 500 for the second consecutive day, securing facilities for patient treatment, such as residential treatment centers, has also become a key issue. Currently, 13 centers operated by the government and local governments have a capacity of 3,014 beds, with 1,623 patients admitted (as of the previous day), leaving about half of the capacity available. However, since patients are concentrated in the metropolitan area, some are being sent to residential treatment centers in other regions. In Gyeonggi Province and Seoul, one center each was opened or planned to open yesterday and today, respectively. The Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters reported that the Gyeongnam region plans to open one residential treatment center by the end of this month, and the Gyeongbuk region is also in discussions.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- 2030s Prefer Temples, 5060s Choose Art Museums... Data Reveals Diverging Travel Preferences
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.