"Refrain from Going Out? Boost Dining Out?" COVID-19 Spread Worsens... Citizens in 'Confusion'
COVID-19 Spreading... 'Dining Out Promotion Campaign' Launched
Health Authorities Raise Social Distancing to Level 2
Citizens "Told to Dine Out... Confused"
Experts "Government and Health Authorities Must Provide Consistent Messages"
To revitalize the sluggish economy, the government has decided to launch the 'Dining Out Promotion Campaign' starting from the 14th. However, some are increasingly concerned that it could negatively impact the COVID-19 situation, such as causing cluster infections. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Han Seung-gon, Intern Reporter Kang Joo-hee] As the government plans to launch the 'Dining Out Revitalization Campaign' starting from the 14th to boost the sluggish economy, concerns are growing in some quarters that it could negatively impact the COVID-19 situation, including the risk of cluster infections.
While health authorities are recommending "refraining from going out" amid the spread of COVID-19 infections, some citizens are expressing confusion as the government introduces policies encouraging dining out.
Experts emphasize that consistent messaging from the government and health authorities is crucial for effective COVID-19 prevention.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and the Korea Agro-Fisheries & Food Trade Corporation announced on the 13th that they will promote the 'Dining Out Revitalization Campaign' to help recover the economy depressed by COVID-19. This campaign offers a plan where customers who make five payments of 20,000 won or more at dining establishments from Friday 4 p.m. to Sunday midnight, and then make a sixth payment of 20,000 won or more, will receive a 10,000 won cashback or discount.
Dining payments are recognized up to twice per day at dining establishments excluding entertainment venues, with only one payment per establishment per day counted. When using delivery apps, only on-site payments can be combined. The campaign will continue until the budget of 33 billion won is fully utilized.
However, as new COVID-19 cases are rapidly spreading mainly in local communities, there are criticisms that policies encouraging dining out at this time are inappropriate.
Citizens have expressed confusion with comments such as, "We understand the intention to revitalize the economy, but who would dine out in this situation?", "They tell us to refrain from going out but launch a dining out campaign?whose tune are we supposed to follow?", and "Cluster infections are breaking out everywhere, gatherings are banned, so does that mean dining out is allowed?"
On the afternoon of the 14th, a notice prohibiting gatherings in the city center was displayed around Gwanghwamun, Seoul. Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageAccording to the Central Disease Control Headquarters, as of midnight on the 15th, the number of new domestic COVID-19 cases was 166, marking a three-digit figure for two consecutive days following 103 cases on the 14th.
Earlier this month, daily new cases were in the 20 to 40 range, but since the 10th, the numbers have sharply increased as 28 → 34 → 54 → 56 → 103 → 166. The 166 new cases are the highest since March 11 (242 cases) about five months ago. The cumulative number of confirmed cases stands at 15,039.
COVID-19 is spreading rapidly, especially in Seoul and Gyeonggi regions, with simultaneous outbreaks occurring in various places where many people gather, such as churches, large shopping centers, and schools, raising concerns about community transmission.
The government announced that it will raise social distancing measures to Level 2 in the metropolitan area.
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said at the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting held at the Government Seoul Office, "The spread of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus infection) centered on the metropolitan area is very serious," and added, "We intend to raise social distancing to Level 2 in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province."
Prime Minister Chung continued, "If we fail to overcome this critical moment, we could enter a re-outbreak phase experienced by many countries worldwide," emphasizing, "The top priority is to swiftly block the spread of infections in the metropolitan area."
The upgrade to Level 2 will be implemented immediately from midnight on the 16th and is expected to be maintained for two weeks. Under Level 2 social distancing, operations of high-risk facilities with a high risk of cluster infections will be suspended, and spectator attendance at sports events will be banned again.
Experts stress the importance of consistent messaging from the government and health authorities for effective prevention.
Professor Kim Woo-joo, an infectious disease specialist at Korea University Guro Hospital, told Asia Economy in a phone interview, "As the COVID-19 spread is serious, health authorities continuously send messages to 'follow prevention guidelines' and 'refrain from going out,' but the government is encouraging going out and dining out, failing to provide consistent messages."
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- "Over 7,000 Residents Evacuate Urgently" Magnitude 5.2 Earthquake Leaves 2 Dead, 6 Injured... What Happened in China?
- "Striking Will Lead to Regret": Hyundai-Kia Employees Speak Out... Uneasy Stares Toward Samsung Union
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
Professor Kim added, "When the public receives conflicting messages, they become confused and tend to choose the easier option. This ultimately causes problems in prevention," and he suggested, "For effective prevention, it is important that the government and health authorities provide transparent and consistent messages to the public."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.