[Asia Economy Reporter Jeon Jin-young] The ruling party, which was pushing for the National Assembly's ratification of the April 27 Panmunjom Declaration, has taken a step back with a 'tone down' stance in response to North Korea's continuous provocations.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

Song Gap-seok, spokesperson for the Democratic Party of Korea, said at the National Assembly Communication Office on the afternoon of the 17th, "Since the ratification bill of the Panmunjom Declaration is to be submitted by the government, the party can review it only after the government submits it," adding, "There has been no discussion yet on when the government will submit it."


Earlier that morning, after the Supreme Council meeting, Song told reporters regarding the push for the National Assembly's ratification of the Panmunjom Declaration, "Basically, we will carry out our duties. Our position is to proceed without any setbacks."


He said, "It is inevitable to feel a tone down," and added, "It is a matter of sequence. These days, we are busy dealing with things like North Korean provocations, so how could the ratification bill be on our minds?"


When asked whether there was prior consultation with the government regarding this change in stance, he replied, "Not yet," and said, "There has been no discussion with the Blue House or related ministries on this matter."


Regarding the legislation to ban the distribution of leaflets to North Korea, which was discussed along with the Panmunjom Declaration, he added, "Since individual lawmakers have proposed it, it seems it will proceed through a natural process."



The Democratic Party plans to hold an emergency Foreign Affairs, Security, and Unification Advisory Meeting at the National Assembly on the morning of the 18th to discuss the party-level response.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing