"Even with Strong Measures Against North Korea Leaflets, Verbal Attacks on South Korea Will Not Stop"
Kim Yo-jong's Statement on the 13th Includes Tough Pressure Messages Like "Break Off with Namjoson"

Ha Tae-kyung, Member of the Future United Party / Photo by Yonhap News

Ha Tae-kyung, Member of the Future United Party / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Intern Reporter Lim Juhyung] Kim Yo-jong, First Deputy Director of the Workers' Party of Korea, has continued her strong pressure on South Korea, saying "It seems that the time has come to decisively break ties with South Korea." Meanwhile, Ha Tae-kyung, a member of the Future United Party, claimed, "Kim Yo-jong's target is not the pira (anti-North Korea leaflets) but President Moon Jae-in."


On the 14th, Ha wrote on Facebook, "The Blue House has completely misjudged the situation. The leaflets were not the essence," adding, "No matter how strongly the Moon Jae-in administration responds to the leaflets, North Korea will not stop its verbal attacks against the South."


He continued, "As Kim Yo-jong declared, the inter-Korean liaison office located on the North Korean side will soon be blown up, and military pressure will follow," and pointed out, "In past cases, North Korea did not make a big fuss when provoking the South militarily. However, if the South Korean government shows a weak attitude like now, it could lead to miscalculations by North Korea."


He further explained, "It is becoming clear that North Korea's target is not the leaflets but President Moon Jae-in," and said, "Even sending the Okryugwan chef to humiliate President Moon was a declaration of severing ties, meaning they will never deal with you again."


Kim Yo-jong, First Deputy Director of the Workers' Party of Korea, paying respects at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum in Vietnam on March 2 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

Kim Yo-jong, First Deputy Director of the Workers' Party of Korea, paying respects at the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum in Vietnam on March 2 last year. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Ha said, "Are we going to comply with everything North Korea orders as we are now?" and emphasized, "Obsessing excessively over the leaflets is not the solution; it is time to unite public opinion and respond firmly so that North Korea does not even dare to provoke."


On the 13th, Kim Yo-jong said through the Korean Central News Agency, "It seems the time has come to break ties with the South Koreans," and "We will soon take the next step."


She also added, "Soon, you will witness the miserable sight of the useless inter-Korean liaison office collapsing without a trace," and "The authority to carry out the next hostile action will be handed over to our military's General Staff."


Kim Yo-jong had previously issued the first statement hinting at severing inter-Korean relations on the 4th, criticizing the distribution of anti-North Korea leaflets by defectors' groups. North Korea also cut off all communication lines, including the liaison office and the hotline between the two Koreas' leaders, starting at noon on the 9th.



Meanwhile, on the 14th, following Kim Yo-jong's statement, the Blue House held an emergency meeting of the Standing Committee of the National Security Council to discuss the direction of responses to North Korea.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing