"Just Passing By~" Spring Flower Viewing Also 'Drive-Thru' Social Distancing Continues
As part of nationwide local government social distancing... Closure measures for traffic and walkways at spring flower spots
Employees of Dong-gu Office in Daejeon are conducting a social distancing campaign along the Daecheongho Cherry Blossom Road area on the afternoon of the 31st of last month. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Gayeon] "Since we can't go outside, we took a drive to see the cherry blossoms."
As the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation prolongs, the quarantine authorities have implemented a '2nd phase of high-intensity social distancing' for two weeks from the 6th to the 19th. Accordingly, local governments restricted access to popular outing spots where crowds might gather to prevent regional infections.
The government announced on the 4th that the high-intensity social distancing would be extended for two more weeks. Park Neung-hoo, the 1st Deputy Head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (Minister of Health and Welfare), said at a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office, "If social distancing is relaxed now, all the efforts so far will be in vain," adding, "If thorough social distancing is not practiced, the transition to a daily quarantine system will inevitably be delayed, so we earnestly ask for the public's cooperation."
Local governments nationwide canceled scheduled events as part of social distancing and closed traffic and pedestrian paths at spring flower spots. On the 10th, Yeongdeungpo-gu announced an extension of the closure of Yeouido spring flower road and Anyangcheon embankment walking trail until the 12th. Songpa-gu also closed the Seokchon Lake walking trail until that day.
Some local governments encouraged participation in 'drive-thru' campaigns. Dong-gu Office in Daejeon Metropolitan City urged visitors at the local cherry blossom spot around Daecheongho Lake to "enjoy the view only with your eyes from inside the moving car." Gyeongju in Gyeongbuk Province and Boseong-gun in Jeonnam Province also requested tourists to practice social distancing and guided traffic so that people could enjoy the cherry blossoms while remaining in their cars.
On the 29th of last month in Gyeongju, Gyeongbuk, the Gyeongju Police Station directed traffic to allow people to enjoy cherry blossoms from their cars to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19).
Photo by Yonhap News
Meanwhile, some citizens took part in so-called 'drive-thru' spring flower viewing by driving their own cars through the flower spots. Citizens who felt frustrated by social distancing found an alternative to enjoy the warm spring weather while adhering to COVID-19 prevention guidelines.
A housewife in her 50s, Ms. A, said, "After participating in social distancing for several months, it sometimes feels suffocating. I thought about going to a nearby park for a short while, but there were many people there too," adding, "So I took a drive with my family to see the cherry blossoms. It was brief, but it felt like the frustration was relieved."
An office worker, Mr. B (28), also said, "Last Friday after work, I enjoyed a 'drive-thru' cherry blossom viewing with friends."
Mr. B said, "The weather has been really nice lately. While talking with friends about wanting to go to the Han River, we decided to take a drive around after work," adding, "It wasn't as good as walking under the cherry trees, but it was quite enjoyable. These days, this is the best we can do, so there's no choice."
Meanwhile, quarantine authorities repeatedly urged participation in social distancing, fearing a 'second wave' of a rapid increase in confirmed cases.
Kim Kang-lip, the 1st General Coordinator of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, said at a regular briefing held at the Government Sejong Office on the 8th, "While some view the current relatively stable trend optimistically, we are preparing for various scenarios, including the possibility of a so-called second wave."
He continued, "To prevent an unfortunate future, we ask the public to strengthen their efforts in personal hygiene and social distancing, which are the most powerful quarantine measures in daily life."
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung Electronics Employee With 100 Million Won Salary" to Receive 600 Million Won Bonus... Estimated Tax Released
- At President Lee's Call to "Give Enough to Shock," Whistleblower Rewards Become a Real Lottery
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- Dressed in Leather, Jensen Huang Eats 8,400 Won Noodles in a Hurry... Instantly Turns Shop into a Hotspot
- "4.15 Million Won Prada Jacket Shows White Spots After One Wear"...Korea Consumer Agency Orders Full Refund
On the 10th, Coordinator Kim emphasized the importance of social distancing again, saying, "We ask for special attention to prevent crowds from gathering in densely populated metropolitan areas, flower viewing spots, election campaign sites, and Easter religious events," adding, "To completely extinguish the remaining embers, it is more important than anything else to persistently practice social distancing."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.