"Bill to Pay Bounty for Trump Assassination Under Review"
"Approval Granted for Chinese Ships to Pass Through Strait of Hormuz"

EPA Yonhap News

EPA Yonhap News

View original image

While a summit between the United States and China is underway, Iran has drawn attention by simultaneously announcing both hardline and moderate measures regarding the Strait of Hormuz. The Iranian parliament announced that it is reviewing a bill offering a bounty for the assassination of U.S. President Donald Trump, while the Iranian government approved the passage of certain vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. These developments appear to be a response to growing cooperation between the U.S. and China over the issue of keeping the Strait of Hormuz open.

"Iranian Parliament Reviewing Bill to Offer Bounty for Trump Assassination"

AFP Yonhap News

AFP Yonhap News

View original image

According to Iran International (INT), an anti-government media outlet, on May 14 (local time), the Iranian parliament is reportedly reviewing a bill under which the Iranian government would pay a bounty of 50 million euros to any individual or group responsible for assassinating President Trump.


Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of the Iranian parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, said in an interview with state television, "The U.S. President, who martyred our supreme leader, is a target that all Muslims must confront." He added, "A bill is being prepared under which the government would pay 50 million euros to any individual, corporation, or organization that carries out the religious and ideological mission of killing the U.S. President."


In fact, since March, the Iranian government has reportedly been conducting a joint government-private campaign and fundraising drive to assassinate President Trump. INT reported, "Around 290,000 people have participated in the fundraising campaign for President Trump's assassination, and the total amount raised has reached 25 million dollars (about 37.3 billion won)," adding, "The government is promoting the fundraising by sending text messages to mobile phone users."


These moves by Iran are analyzed as measures to pressure the U.S. government, which is preparing a military operation to open the Strait of Hormuz. Previously, on May 14, President Trump said in a Fox News interview after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, "He said he wants to keep the Strait of Hormuz open and would like to help in any way possible." He added, "I firmly stated that we would not provide military equipment to Iran."

"Chinese Ships Granted Passage Through Strait of Hormuz" ... International Oil Prices Eased

AP Yonhap News

AP Yonhap News

View original image

Meanwhile, the Iranian government took a conciliatory step by announcing that it would allow certain vessels, mainly Chinese ships, to pass through the Strait of Hormuz. On May 14, Iran's Fars News Agency quoted relevant sources as saying, "Following a decision by Iranian authorities, some Chinese vessels began transiting the Strait of Hormuz starting last night." It is believed that 30 vessels passed through the Strait on the night of May 13, but Iranian authorities did not disclose details regarding the nationality or names of the vessels.


Fars News Agency reported, "This approval for passage through Hormuz was achieved through the efforts of Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and the Chinese Ambassador to Iran," adding, "Transit of Chinese vessels was promoted based on the deep and strategic partnership between the two countries." The report further stated that the passage was granted as the Chinese side agreed to comply with Iran's regulations for managing the Strait of Hormuz.


There is also analysis that the number of Very Large Crude Carriers (VLCCs) transporting non-sanctioned oil through the critical Strait of Hormuz is increasing, providing some limited relief to international oil prices. According to ship tracking data compiled by Bloomberg on May 14, four tankers, each carrying about 2 million barrels of crude oil, have exited the Strait of Hormuz since May 10.


Bloomberg also reported that the previous day, the Yuan Hua Hu, a large Chinese oil tanker, passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Middle Eastern oil companies such as Saudi Arabia's Aramco Trading and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) of the United Arab Emirates have also reportedly transported crude oil through the Strait since the blockade, and the passage of Large Very Large Gas Carriers (LVGCs) is also increasing. Last month, Mercuria Energy Group announced it had succeeded in moving its vessels outside the Strait of Hormuz, but did not disclose specific methods.



However, compared to the period before the Iran war, when about 20 tankers of various sizes transited the Strait of Hormuz daily, the current level of passage remains significantly lower. Georgios Sakellariou, a cargo analyst at Signal Maritime, said, "Although there is an upward trend, the scale is still too small to make a significant difference," adding, "The biggest issue is that even if all the tankers currently in the Strait exit, new vessels are unlikely to enter for the time being."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing