Statue of Peace in Berlin Forcibly Removed After Five Years
Activists' Efforts Rendered Ineffective as Police Intervene
The Statue of Peace, erected in Berlin, Germany, was forcibly dismantled after five years.
On October 17, Yonhap News Agency, citing the Korea Verband, a civic group of Koreans in Germany, reported that the Mitte District Office in Berlin had dismantled the statue that day. At around 7 a.m. (local time), the Mitte District Office mobilized a specialized company to remove the statue from public land within its jurisdiction. The Korea Verband had wrapped the statue with tape and members and local residents had taken turns guarding it in response to pressure from the district office to remove it, but ultimately, they were unable to prevent the forced demolition. Han Jeonghwa, head of the Korea Verband, told Yonhap News Agency, "Three activists were guarding the statue, but 25 police officers surrounded it and blocked access."
The statue of peace girl in Berlin, Germany, just before demolition. Photo by Yonhap News Agency
View original imagePreviously, the Mitte District Office had sent an official notice to the Korea Verband and others, issuing an ultimatum that the statue would be forcibly removed if it was not dismantled by October 14. At that time, the district office stated, "Since you have made it clear that you will not voluntarily relocate the statue from public road land, further warnings are meaningless," and warned, "If necessary, we will use a specialized company to carry out the removal." In August, the Mitte District Office also ordered the statue to be removed by October 7, stating, "The statue has exceeded the two-year period allowed for temporary art installations."
The site where the Statue of Peace was dismantled in Berlin on the 17th (local time). Photo by Yonhap News
View original imageIn response, the Korea Verband, which installed the statue, filed for an injunction with the Berlin Administrative Court to suspend the district office's order.
The Statue of Peace in Berlin was erected in August 2020 on public land in the center of the Mitte district, as a symbol commemorating victims of the Japanese military's wartime sexual slavery. The statue has drawn significant attention in Germany as well. However, after protests from the Japanese government, the Mitte District Office became reluctant to extend the installation permit.
Korean Group in Germany: "Discussing New Location for Reinstallation"
The Mitte District Office had also issued a removal order for the statue in September last year, but at that time, the court accepted the Korea Verband's request for an injunction, suspending the order. This April, the court once again recognized the statue's right to remain, allowing it to stay at its current location until September 28. After this period expired, the Mitte District Office imposed a fine of 3,000 euros (approximately 4.97 million won) and notified the Korea Verband that the statue would be forcibly removed if not voluntarily relocated. The district office and the Korea Verband then discussed moving the statue to private land, but could not reach an agreement. In July, the Mitte District Office announced a decision to relocate the statue to land owned by the private organization "Tiergarten Tenants' Cooperative." However, both the Korea Verband and the cooperative refuted this, stating, "This was a unilateral announcement by the district office and no such agreement existed."
Hot Picks Today
Given Grants, Then Says "No Launch" ... Innovative Korean Technology Ultimately Forced Overseas
- "Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- Singer Kim Minjong Responds to MC Mong's Gambling Allegations: "Clearly False... Legal Action to Follow"
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
After receiving the ultimatum, the Korea Verband again filed for an injunction with the court to suspend the removal order, but this was dismissed on October 14. The Korea Verband stated, "The district office said they would inform us later about where the statue is being kept," and added, "We are currently discussing both short-term and long-term options for reinstallation."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.